No announcement yet.

SL900 Polaris dies at any time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey..i was looking at the posts..I have a 900 Kawi. 900 ZXI that did the same thing!!! It turned out to be a lousy check valve in the tank..would shut off for no reason..then immediately restart..the dealer was clueless..I ended up fixing it myself. The check valve (faulty) created intermittant problems..I cleaned the kill switch too!!! Good luck..I thought electrical at first too..beeter check fuel delivery also!!! [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/oogle.gif[/img]

Comment

Your 900 does have a rev limiter. It will limit RPMs when you get low on fuel and oil (and maybe if it over heats - cannot remember).

If your 900 is like the one I had, it will kick in right about 4100 RPMs. Could be wrong, but I believe the limiter is in the black box on top of the battery. Also, not sure if the limiter shuts off spark or alters the timing in order to limit the RPMSs. So it may or may not be the problem.

Good luck.

Comment

The previous owner had just had the stator replaced just before I purchased the unit. I thought this was perhaps a hint, but the dealer told me no. lanyard-kill switch was taken apart by this dealer and he said it also checked out. Only other thing that was discussed was the rev limiter. Do not have a wiring diagram and not sure if it has one or were it is located.
        The fuel check valve sounds like a good thing to check out. Thanks That would sure be a easy fix.

Comment

Same problem on my sl750, however it was a lanyard switch freaking out on me, just needed a bit of cleaning.

The dealer and their shop is all important on how great your Polaris experience is. No reason to rag on the brand for a bad dealer / mechanic.

Splines do strip and shafts bend / bow / break. This happens from heavy loading / unloading forces on the pump and are more obvious with high HP models with the extended dominator pump.

[It is why Polaris put the short pump on the Genesis and you can buy "Hardened drive shaft & stub shaft" parts for the extended pump polaris models.]

I have a Hot Seat Performance shaft in my SL750, and run the extended pump.

BTW, for what it is worth, I've had my SL750 for two years and those are coupled with some very unfriendly riding and bouy courses.

Modified motor, etc... No major problems.

Perhaps it is just your luck? Maybe you'll have better luck with another brand.

Comment

I have the extended pump and stock hardware and have yet to see a driveline problem. I am turning around 7000rpm. Most stock Fuji engines are 6100 for the 650/750 and 6400 for the 780. The Pro785 is around 7500 but after the first 97 model year it came with the short shaft. Key is to let off the gas when airborn in chop and get back on it when when you hit the water.

Comment

Hey guys - I have a 96 SL 900 upgraded to a 1050 that used to cut out for no apparent reason also. :( After taking the motor out and a complete dissassemble the Polaris Mech and I found nothing wrong. Put it all back together and still it would cut out. Started right up everytime. Checked the wires again.

CHanged the plugs back to the original BP8RES - no more cut outs. I know it seems like BS but it still works. the SL900 has a digital ignition - if any spark is lost - the system shuts down - just like hitting the kill button. Replace the plugs then focus on the kill system. Mine usually would kill going WFO when in the chop. You must habe resistor plugs / caps in the boat.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim

Comment

Interesting, I never knew that. If one of his sparkplugs was beginning to foul and the spark became intermittent and inconsistent, would that cause the ignition to shut down entirely until the start button is hit again? If so, maybe a bad plug or the the screw on cap of one of the plugs has come loose.

Comment

Yeah, I doubt to experience the problem myself on the SL750, but I picked up a HS drive shaft for the same $$$ as the extended part would have cost anyway... can't refuse that deal [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

My understanding is the bending , bowing, stripping drive line components were being seen on the heavier 3 & 4 seaters when running offshore or in thick chop where they'd come hooked & unhooked regularly.

Interesting too, polaris also has a heavier duty drive coupler on the engine side for the pro1200 pro785 machines.

Have a great day!!!
                  -SEF

Comment

When I was out on my 750, I was sitting at about 6500. I had a friend climb on board and again, I was sitting at 6500. I need to install that other cdi and see the higher RR's.

'got the pow'ah, need the delivery!

Comment

The stock rev limiter is 6700. I don't think you are there yet and changing to the Pro cdi is not necessary.

Comment

i had the same problem with my 1050 turned out to be a pinched wire in cdi box

Comment

I still have the problem, how did you find out it was a pinched cable? and the next thing is How do i change the stator if the pinched cable isnt the fault, and also where is this thing on the the fuel tank some kind of sensor?

Comment

Working...
                          X