Polaris 1050 HOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris 1050 HOT?

After about 5 minutes of having it in the water it comes up on the dash as hot. and the engine almost cuts out, Sometimes it does cut out but starts up straight away, any ideas its a 1996 model engine. Please.

The first thing I would do is go through all your cooling hoses, and especially check your filter in the pipe.

Comment

I have checked the rubber hoses took them off put water through them and there clear. where is the filter? also i took the long red thing off the top of the engine (Coolent Lines)
      and found them to be dry. which i thought strange as i had it running in the drive for about five minutes with the hose pipe on it. also took off and tested thermostat which was fine. where is the impellor? could that be a problem do you think??

Comment

If you are saying impeller as in what an outboard engine uses to pump water to the engine - a jetski does not use that method. Your jetski gets cooling water for your engine from the pump (or that impeller). There should be 2 bigger diameter black cooling hoses going to the back of the pump (inside the hull). These are the cooling lines.

Comment

wayne, the engine is self draining so you won't really see water in the cooling bar.
          There is an orifice in your head pipe that can become clogged. You have to take off the fitting from the headpipe and you will either have a screen in there or an orifice. I don't remember exactly which one the 1050 has.

Comment

The filter for the 1050 is a screen on the fitting on the top front of the expansion chamber (exhaust pipe). Remove the hose, unscrew the fitting from the pipe and check the screen tube for junk.
            Are you sure it really is running hot? if your lines are all clear, the pickup screen on the pump is clear, and the engine seems cool to the touch, it could be the temp sensor, they do go bad.

Comment

Thanks for all the resposes. I took the expansion chamber off all the hoses and the exhaust box all is clear. nothing in any of the pipes. blew down then put water through them so looking over some other forums i decided to disconect the temp sender switch, it runs fine now with no HOT light on the dash. havent taken it out yet. will hope to be out at the weekend, will see whats happening with it then.

Comment

Its still there. Although it doesnt say Hot on the dash anymore it still cuts out, i have cleaned every hose, air box expansion chamber and nuck and cranny that could hide a foregn object. and found nothing, three more options aparently! the stator. where is it and how do i change it? the sensor. something to do with the petrol? where is that and the last thing a cable that might be Pinched? how would i find that?

Comment

Wow, what a poser! I can't see the problem being the stator, due to the hot light coming on when the problem starts. Did you unhook the temp sensor at the CDI box, or where? Maybe try hooking the sensor back up where you unhooked it, then removing the the sensor itself from the exhaust manifold and securing it away from the engine. If the hot light still comes on, it would indicate a faulty sensor.
                  Just make sure your engine is not actually getting hot, as parts are plenty expensive if you have a piston seizure.
                  (The stator is bolted up to the front (bow) end of the motor and requires engine removal and a flywheel puller to replace- the CDI box or components within would more likely to cause the type of problem as you describe it. Other problems could be poor or watered fuel, incorrect or faulty spark plugs, loose connections in the wiring, or minor piston seizure, though I suspect if you have run it this much the motor would be locked up by now. What do your plugs look like?)

Comment

Plugs are OK a tad on the oily side but apart from that dont seem too bad, and they are new ones. the Petrol, is new the carbs have all been removed and cleaned, (By the dealer)
                    I unhooked the sensor with a pair of snips! Insulated the end. ran it! still cut out, then i thought about the curcuit and put the cable to earth. ran it, still cut out! now i think i need to SSome chasing of cables and see if i can find any which may be broken, any particular ones i should look at? I have reconnected the temp sender as it didint make the slightest bit of differance. WAYNE! [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

You took the cut end of the sensor wire and grounded it, and it didn't make any difference? Your heat indicator and horn sould have been lit up! Sounds like you got WIERD goins onz with that ski bud!

Seadoobie
                      Either Get Wet, or stay on the Hill!

Seadoos
                      91 XP almost completely restored
                      91 GT almost completely retored
                      94 XP old Play thang Sold (Not sure if Im glad or Sad,
                      have a complete 94 XP parts
                      ski for sale now)

Yammies
                      97 GP1200 New Play thang
                      98 XL1200 New project

Comment

I agree with Seadoobie, grounding the sensor wire should have lit up the hot light immediately. With the sensor wire reconnected, does the hot light still come on after the boat is run for a while?
                        I really think you have problems in the computer box, probably a chip going south after it warms up. Anyone familier enough with the circuitry to know which circuit the heat sensor runs through? And if this circuit cuts the output from the coils?
                        Just curious, have you opened the black box and replugged and tightened the spade connectors?

Comment

Hi, i have opend the black box of tricks, checked all the cables, and found one, a little thin gray one to be squashed and looks like could have been earthing on the box. if everything in life was as simple as this then i would have no worries what so ever, however the thin little wire i have no idea what it does or where it goes. could this be the problem anyone with an understaning of curcuit wiring of above said model? also the (Brain) do they go? it is a sealed unit OBVIOUNSLY! and i have noticed that it is the only part within the black box that has connectors for easy removal, could this be a hint they are not very relaible?

Comment

Working...
                          X