Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re water box

Another question on water box issue,
    I put lower pop off press. springs on my sl650 and not the std 650 and milled stock heads to .15 and have update air fillter kit on carbs.If im letting more air/fuel into engine and putting out more comp.on the cyls. wouldn't it be smart to let the exhaust out with after market water box besides i'd like my ski to sound cooler so are these mods enough for me to put nice sounding water box on my sl650
    Thank You for input.

[ October 21, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: jaybirdjetski ]

All I can tell you in regards to that ski is it will make it sound different but I can't even begin to offer you performance advice. You would be well advised to listen to Sealion on those skis. Now on my 1200 SLX a Hotseat waterbox was good for 20-40 rpms (.2-.3 mph maybe), better bottom-end and a significant change in sound (good to me, but maybe bad to others). I love mine but I don't live or ride in an area where sound is an issue. It is almost too loud when I'm in salt water because the ski sits a little higher and muffles almost none! The peopple I ride with will not allow me to ride up front when we go to St. Augustine and ride the intercoastal. Ultimately it's a personal choice because I don't think a little lost or gained top end due to the waterbox is going to hurt or help you much anyway.
    00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

You will gain a little bottom end with the TDR, Hot Seat or the like waterboxes but nothing will happen on top end. You might even lower the top end slightly from the reduced back pressure. For the money it costs to buy a waterbox, I wouldn't recommend it. You really won't feel any noticeable difference.

Comment

The only advantage to those water boxes is the fact that they are much lighter.

I paid big money, having bought 2 of them.
        I sold them on eBay for about 1/2 of what I paid. :(

They don't really do much, other than irate people for miles away.

I got rid of mine for fear of being beamed by rocks by the tree huggers and environmentalists [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

[ October 22, 2002, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Polaris_Nut#1 ]
        He who dies with the most toys Still dies! So have fun with them 1970 SS 396 Chevelle, 86 ATC 250R (RAD valve,K&N, FMF gold series, bandit XC's), 97 XLT600SP (SLP tripple pipes, reverse, EPI clutch kit), 95 SL750 (all the bolt on's) & 96 SLX

Comment

Yeah, see where I live it's mostly dudes with Mullet haircuts (not to offend anyone, I happen to beleive that at some point the mullet haircut was right atop the pantheon of country culture :D ) and massive Allisons and what not that sound like jet fighters. Compared to them I'm nothing so people don't really sweat me on it much. At the very least, between the sound and my ability to rooster tail with the best of them I have earned something of a respect amongst them (not to mention I can actually hang with some of the slower ones).
          00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Working...
          X