No announcement yet.

Hey guys, its been a while!(long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, its been a while!(long post)

hey guys whats up? been a while since ive been around here.....the season has started up again for me....acutally, i dont think it really stoped since i rode in october, december, and twice this month :D ....ive been busy which school(A&M), my truck(my other baby besides my slx), and other things......anyways, i gotta few questions......our 98 slth died this weekend.....i had a sneaky suspicion that it was gonna go since it has kinda sounded like the main bearings were trashed ever since october.....i let my buddy ride the slx while i rode the slth on saturday, and its a good thing we switched while we did. i was riding along, and the rpms gradually begain to drop. no matter how much gas i gave it, it kept going slower and slower, so i figured i sucked up some sea weed. i checked the grate, and nothing showed up. went to start it, and it wouldnt. the starter was having a helluva time cranking it. it finally sputtered to life, and sounded like hell, and would barely run. i popped the seat, and **** that sucker was fryin! thank god my friend wasnt riding, because he probably wouldve kept goin untill it seized. i was really surprised the heat light never came on to........

needless to say, i was pretty pissed, but it think this opens the opportunity for pops to buy a new ski, since the slth has seen better days. i think he wants to stay with polaris, and with a 3 seater, so i was thinking the msx 150 or 140....what do yall think? i heard the 150 is possibly having some problems, and hasnt even been released yet....plus i just dunno about a turbo charged 2 banger....seems kinda fishy....the 140 sounds pretty good....any opinions? i was also thinking about the kawasaki stx-r.....looks like a very solid ski, and reliable.....i dont like sea doos at all, so forget that......then theres the hondas......the f-12 is kinda lame, but the f-12x looks nice, but its also turbo.....and pricey.....what do yall think?

on a side note, i almost trashed the slx 2 weekends ago! my retarded *** forgot to put the plugs in...which is all fine and dandy untill you stop moving......went to get on the ski the next morning, and boy was she sitting low in the water. luckily, i didnt get any water in the carbs, but i guess i got enough moisture in there to foul the plugs.......it wouldnt run, but would turn over, and tried to start.....ran outta time to work on it, so i put some fogging oil in it, and changed the plugs last weekend.....runs great now......was a pain getting all that **** oil out though....thats some nasty stuff.......anyways, i did notice something......it ran great, but after putting about a tank and a half thru it, it started to smoke more......i dont know if i got some bad gass, but it smelled real rich, and looked like it was burning more oil.....any ideas? it also would bog down when gassed hard......could i have fouled the plugs somehow? it was getting low on oil, and the oil light was going off.....it would say i had almost 1/4-1/2 tank while sitting still, but drop to one bar when moving......kinda odd, especially after it ran good for a while......any ideas?

oh, and one more thing......i found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31283

is this grate any good? or not worth my time and money? or is the r&d grate they sell at hotseat the one for me? i ride mostly in chop and the surf.....i think im finally gonna get a grate!

also found these on ebay....looks interesting....i wonder if they fight my boat? what i mean is, would the covers for a 1050 be the same for a 1200? is it worth getting them for such a cheap price? heck, the 92 octane domes are 80 bucks a piece, might as well if i can get the cover this cheap.....also, what do i have to do to the engine if i get new heads.....rejet?

laters guys....good to be back

ryall
    Ryall Meyer

I run the R&D grate Hotseat sells but I'm rarely in anything above 6" chop. If you're in bigger chop and don't mind the speed loss you might go with more of a scoop grate. As for needing to rejet with heads; my stock carbs were plenty rich to accomodate the heads when I did them. After swapping for the 93 heads from Hotseat I kept a close watch on things and for over 100 hours had no problems. I've since gone to 44mm Mikunis but I remember them working fine with stock carbs. You might want to rejet and try to gain some performance but it's up to you.

The biggest difference between the STX-R and the 140 would be as follows:
    ergonomics of the STX-R take a bit of getting used to or a bit of aftermarket work to get them how you like them whereas every report on the MSX I've seen seemed favorable (minus some peoples distaste for Polaris steering which you would be used to). Range would be another factor where the STX-R is no long range cruiser so if you travel far it may not be for you. The STXR appears to be faster and quicker so if you're after performance that's probably the way to go. Outside of that it's probably just personal preference. Both are good, just for different things...
    00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

I haven't seen one of those Fischer grates in years. I have never tried one but it does look similar to my favorite grate of all time, an Ultrac.
      As far as MSX140 or STXR, they are worlds apart. The MSX is definitely a more well rounded boat with more features. If you were planning to race a 3 seater, I would say STXR but for rec riding, you really want all the extra amenities that the MSX offers.

Comment

cool, ill heve to let my dad know...i figured that how the boats would stack next to each other....my only concern is whether the 140 is going to be reliable, and if any bugs are going to rear their ugly heads......i htink i might try that fischer grate.....price isnt bad, and who knows, might be great......i dont wanna loose too much speed, if any at all...the fischer grate doesnt look to aggressvie...as for those hotseat heads, would i get the ones listed under the pro1200 section, or under the 700/1050/1200 section? yall think that cover will fit?
        Ryall Meyer

Comment

There is an update for the MSX140 being shipped to dealers now. Owners that bought before the update release will have them installed by the dealer. It involves a new EMM and flywheel. The manufacturer of the parts had some bad batches or ??? . The updated parts are supposed to help with performance slightly but that is just rumored.

As far as the Hot Seat head, you might want to contact them about the head shell being the same for the 1050 and the 1200. I would guess that they are and just the domes are different but call and make sure.

Comment

you will want to go with the stuff for the PRO1200. That is what I oredered when I got mine. They used to have them up for just the 1200 but the part numbers were identical so i guess they got rid of one to save bandwidth or something?
            00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Also you can get away with just the domes. I added the one piece head just for show mostly...
              00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

hey guys, i talked to my sister, and word is, my dad is thinking of getting a hond r-12x :D i dont know whats gotten into him, but im not complaining.....what do yall think about that?
                Ryall Meyer

Comment

Boy I have a lot to say about Honda. I'll keep it short. I'll start with saying that the R-12X looks like it will be a good boat. It's Honda's business practices that I don't like. Honda is requiring that to be a Honda pwc dealer, you have to have a seperate building for their product away from all the other brands. This goes for parts and service as well. Most if not all dealers can't afford to do this so they will not be taking on Honda watercraft. Many existing Honda only dealers don't want to sell the slow moving watercraft. Plus, to sell the '03 models, you have to sell a bunch of '02 models first. I saw a quantity of several hundred '02 before a dealer can get the '03.

Riva, probably the biggest name in watercraft will be dropping their Hondas for the above reasons. If the biggest watercraft dealer in the world can't make it work, how can the smaller dealers make it work? This all leads to negatives for the buying public. Where will you have it serviced if your dealer drops the line? Where will you have to buy because there will be so few dealers? Why support a co. that doesn't support the sport? Honda was in bed with the eco's to get pwc banned.

My personal and others personal experience with the Honda reps at last years World Finals was very poor. They were rude and egomaniacs. They can keep their watercraft and politics. I won't ever buy one. I even predicted over a year ago that they will fail in the watercraft business. It looks like they are on the right path for that.

Much of this is my opinion but based on facts. I see the writing on the wall and I won't support Honda for the reasons above. Maybe some others feel the same way?

Comment

Crazy, I saw in another post that you will get the 140. Is that your final answer?

Comment

you did? where was that post? i dont remember posting it.....?
                      Ryall Meyer

Comment

Oops. It was sirhc that posted that. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

???
                          I'm not buying a MSX140. I think somebody named CrazyA posted that in the post where you, Skexies and I were discussing pipes...

I thought the same thing too, but had to go back and verify that I really hadn't lost my mind...only mis-placed it briefly. [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

[ April 25, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Sirhc7897 ]
                          00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Sorry double post...

[ April 25, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Sirhc7897 ]
                            00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Welp, I've seen the turbo FX honda and I hope it has a lot of untapped potential in the mods area. I heard that it is basically a tigershark hull, as honda bought out what was left of tigershark. [anyone else heard that?]

It is ok, but a 10k price tag is a bit rough.

I like the MSX 140, seems to be doing well so far.

STX-R has it's own issues. Steering cables break very often and the parts are totally funky between years, don't expect interchangability without a lot of testing. Still, a totally great craft... I'd love to have one to race on!!!! But then again, I'd be just like everyone else. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] I'd have to repaint it or change the seat colors to just figure out which photo was of me from the race. *chuckle*

Comment

Working...
                              X