No announcement yet.

sealion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I went from the "log" pipe & Planet to the conventional 1200 red pipe.

1: the water boxes no-where line up right. I had to cut my hot-seat waterbox apart, fabricate a new inside, lengthen the intake plumbing, increase the exit pipe diameter to 3", and finally re-shape the outside of the waterbox to clear a bump in the fiberglass.

2: I welded additional length to the back of the 1200 pipe's exit and created "barbs" on both the water box side and pipe side to keep the thing from vibrating off. ;)

3: I had to make a 3" pipe to bring exhaust from the water box, loop by the seat, and then to the exhaust exit of the craft to eliminate the planet resonator system.

4: I had to make an aluminum plate to go in the rear storage area since the pipe is in a large part of that area now. I later cut and mounted the smaller rear storage bucket from the virage in that location to again have rear storage space.

The power is a lot more "perky" than the log, but the total benefit I can't tell you because I have changed many other things at the same time.

I went to the 4" extended pump, removed the reverse for now, went to hardend shafts, custom prop, 12-vane stator, AAT, no-syphon exit nossle, custom ride plate [6" longer than factory] custom intake grate, beach house sponsons, 93 octane domes, "sleeper" cdi, cleared the choke plates, mild cyl porting, port matched & polished all the air-paths, v-force D-2 reeds, ceramic coatings, different spark plugs, and I think that covers most of it. I hope to throw different ignition coils into the mix shortly.

Now, you hit the gas and it'll dump your passengers in the water behind ya. Before it was lazy for about 3 seconds after WOT while the boat got up on plane.

With a bigger AAT puck, my top speed goes up but it accelerates a bit more slugish. I use a smaller one for racing and this off-shore I've been doing for the better acceleration (arm yanking when you cruise in and out of chop), and that makes my top speed on the GPS about 56 @ 7000 rpm. (Why I need to bump up the power resonance of the pipe ala water-change) The other benefit is that I no longer scrub all my speed off in turns. Stock I'd pull the motor down in the 4k range around turns and it was way slow. Now if you keep it pinned, you'll wash out if you don't watch what you are doing, but it won't pull the RR's off much at all.

I had my brother on the back Sunday, we were pretty much neck and neck with a turbocharged honda for about a mile until we hit some rougher water and we started to walk him pretty bad. We turned around and went at it again with no change, we pulled away. I was happy with those results.

Down side of the changes.... women and children may not like the darty attitude of the throtle.

[ April 28, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Skexies ]

Comment

This sounds like my SLX780 project. Taking parts from different years to make it all work better for a particulat model.

Comment

It sounds like the "Bionic" Genesis... [img]smile.gif[/img]
        00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Mine was called Frankenski, LOL. Hey if it works and is inexpensive as was my case, why not? It even looks stock :D

Comment

Hehe... it looks rather stock inside, unless you know what you are looking at. I even repainted all the items satin black.

[img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] I've got a red "R" after the "Genesis" now. Looks like a factory logo.

Genesis, Genesis i, Genesis R [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] The model that should have but never was.

Here is a link to some pics from the last race;
            http://www.jetslalom-south.net/Enduro03R3P0.htm

What is that in the rear-view? DOH!
            http://www.jetslalom-south.net/3175_50.htm
            http://www.jetslalom-south.net/3192_50.htm
            http://www.jetslalom-south.net/3292_50.htm
            http://www.namwot.com/~ray/Nueces200...ages/NC-16.htm

[ April 29, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Skexies ]

Comment

That's amazing, I've never seen the bottom of the Genesis unless it was on the bottom of the trailer... [img]smile.gif[/img]
              00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

[img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] LOL... Hi-Hoe Silver! Away!

http://www.errettet.org/images/sef-genesis.jpg

[ April 30, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Skexies ]

Comment

Skexies, do you still have your "log" pipe? I'd like to put a domestic three cylinder in my hurricane. Talking to Bruce (wetwolf) he thought this might clear the hurricane hull.

Comment

Yes. I still have the log exhaust setup. It is more narrow up top, etc. It does have some good width to the bottom by the engine.

You'd definately have to get all custom on the water box, cause the box normally feeds the i-planet system and is all funky in routing.

Comment

I am interested in using the dry pipe on my 96 780 sl.I have a local dealer that says he has one used for 75.00 how can I tell Im getting the right one?Also anything besides some new water connections I should need to know?Can I just cut the rev limiter wire to gain some Rs before I switch to the CDI?Also will I need to rejet for the mod?
                      Thanks,Roger
                      The official Paceboat for all GPR and Ultra 150 races...LOL

Comment

The 92-93 pipe didn't have a water fitting in the middle (start of the expansion chamber) and it is a little shorter than the 94 and up pipes. There should also be a date cast or stamped into the pipe. The water routing is simple but you will need a lower pitched impeller, a Pro785 CDI and carb rejetting. Not to mention plenty of time for fine tuning. I don't think there is a way to disable the rev limiter. My set up turns 6950 to7000 rpm. Stock SLX780 and SL780 is around 6500 with the rev limiter at 6700.

Comment

How much ($$$)?
                          I'm not sure if it'll work, but I should get a pretty good idea by taking the pipe off the 700 setting the "Log" place of the old one. If it works than it's time to find a motor :D

Comment

Working...
                          X