Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealion...

couple of quick questions...

1: cooling feed to the pipe and the T to the manifold.... does anyone ever place another T in there to dump excess pressure off outside the hull?

2: you run the dry pipe, has anyone looked at placing a water jet on the stinger and diverting a percentage of the water away from the main jet on the pipe to that stinger (to keep the water box / connector temps down, etc)?

3: are you running the factory ignition coils, wires, etc on your 780 except for the pro ignition?

This somewhat addresses your cooling question:

I removed the cooling rail on top of the cylinders, tapped 3 individual 3/8 fittings in and ran three seperate bypasses out the side of the ski. It relieves some pressure on the system and allows a higher volume of water to pass through the heads (more cooling capacity). Engine runs cooler and I see less rpm drop over extended rides verus pre-mod. I don't think you would want to provide a by-pass in the intake side of the cooling system. As a bonus I now have the ability to individually monitor the cylinders (to some degree)

I have absolutely no answers for your other questions...
    00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

We will actually have a tech article on that procedure in a couple weeks [img]smile.gif[/img]
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I am using the dry pipe but I am not diverting any water or injecting any water at this time. I have had plans for awhile to play with water injection or a flow control valve but I've been a little lazy to do so. With the dry pipe, the water routing is different and there is water that comes straight out of the pipe to a pisser.

I am running all the stock stuff except for the Pro785CDI which I needed for the higher rev limiter and retarded timing up high. The advanced timing it offers down low was a welcome bonus too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am using the dry pipe but I am not diverting any water or injecting any water at this time. I have had plans for awhile to play with water injection or a flow control valve but I've been a little lazy to do so. With the dry pipe, the water routing is different and there is water that comes straight out of the pipe to a pisser. My 92 exhaust pipe remains very cool to the touch. The reason is the waterjacket on the pipes really keeps it cool.

I am running all the stock stuff except for the Pro785CDI which I needed for the higher rev limiter and retarded timing up high. The advanced timing it offers down low was a welcome bonus too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Technical Support, is that you Bryan? Looking forward to what you guys have in a couple of weeks.

Comment

cool, thanks for the nfo...

Currently I have a tap in between 1 & 2 on the cooling rail to a pisser. 3/8 taps all around sounds very promissing.

I've thought about trying the diverting of a percentage [or all] of the water jet from the 1200 single pipe to a stinger mounted jet... trying to reclaim some more power up top without going triple.

On the 1200 I have one of Randy's billet aluminum rails that have the screw-in restrictors to help balance the system... I fried out the mag cyl from a dry-out in the fuel system [screw came off the carb body and jammed the float arm closed] Never had any sign of heat problems outside though... :(

In case anyone never told ya, you rock. ;)

-Eric

Comment

Soemthing else you could try...

I replaced the main jet in my stock pipe with the main jet for one of the older 1050 motors. It dried out the pipe a little more and provided a decent bump in acceleration and maybe a marginal gain in top end. 20 or 30 rpms maybe.

Where are you thinking about adding the stinger. I would be very interested in your results as you and I seem to be on the same quest. My next step is some porting and boring over next winter :D
              00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

on the 1200, I have welded an extension onto the exit of the pipe to extend to a custom water box. That was done so I can fit the pro 1200 single pipe on my Genesis and bypass the PLANET stuff. I have enough room there on the pipe exit that I can weld a thick aluminum rod, then tap it for a jet and a barb.

I can do the same thing on the 750 pipe as well, since the pipe has enough space there in it's factory configuration.

I thought about even running 2 jets in the main pipe location... one high speed jet and one auxillery jet... the aux being controlled by an EWCI unit or something that can turn it off for high rpm speed. It sounds romantic... but it'll keep me from having problems if the EWCI would fail in a race, so I always have a jet putting water into the box and don't have to worry about burning up a hose.

I'll post more about it after I've had a chance to play with it.

[ April 23, 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Skexies ]

Comment

Good to see you guys playing with the stock stuff to make it work better. One thing that I have come to understand about Polaris is that they do have really good exhaust systems stock but can be tweaked a little bit. There was an older pipe on the first Genesis and the X-45. It was called the log pipe. I have heard of some people using that instead of the newer pipes. There were some gains to be had with that one but unfortunately I have never played around with one or have any more details. It might be a similar situation to using the 92 SL650 pipe on the 93 and newer Fuji engines (except the Pro785).

Comment

What I've heard was the way to go (and I plan to try it on our friends Genesis later this summer) is to replace the pipe that comes on the Genesis with the regular 1200 pipe. If you look at the two they're very different pipes. Supposedly the Genesis pipe is designed to build a much flatter power band (good for towing) versus the more peaky powerband of the regular pipe. Swapping the two out is supposed to yield some very favorable results.

I read closer and realized that this is exactly what Skexies has done. What kind of results did you see with that?
                    00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Does the Genesis headpipe look like a log? Maybe I have it backwards? I guess I'll look on partsland to see it.

Comment

It seems like all the Genesis have the log pipe as do the TXis. The carbed 1200s (besides the Genesis and the X-45) have the more conventional headpipe. I wonder what the MSX140 has on it. I will guess that it is the log.

Comment

If that's the case then all these people looking for mods for the MSX 140 will probably love to know that. According to Randy (and it sounds like Skexies can verify or refute firsthand) replacing that "log" style pipe is a huge key to waking those motors up.

If I can get my hands on one resonably this summer I'll be able to get some good verification of this...

It would definately be one of those unique mods (much like your pipe swap SL)...
                          00 SLX<br />03 SVT F-150

Comment

Sealion and everyone,
                            The "log" pipe (or linear pipe) was not the hot set-up for performance. The "regular" (or more conventional pipe) is what you want for performance. The new MSX 140 uses the more conventional type pipe. However, I've heard that it is of a slightly different "recipe". Rumor has it that one of the ways that they got the MSX 140 so enviro friendly (along with the injection) was to seriously drop the exhaust port timing. In order to offset some of the "loss", they redesigned the pipe to shorter specs, "buying" back some RPM. After looking at the MSX 140, I noticed that the pipe is no longer of the "center-bleed" design either, meaning that although it looks and runs in the same direction as the Virage pipe, the exhaust actually exits at the end of the pipe and not the center. *IF* all of this is true and it would fit, maybe the MSX 140 pipe would be nice on the other 1200's. I'll be picking mine up in a couple weeks and will send pics if you want. Also, once break in is complete, I'll get some good, solid GPS numbers. Sorry so long!!!
                            CrazyA

Comment

If what you say is true, it sounds like the MSX140 pipe will be the way to go for all the 1200s? I don't remember what the MSX pipe looks like. The last time I saw an MSX140 was at the World Finals. Well this is definitely some things to think about. I'm sure there will be some that race the 140 and go to triple pipes so getting some used ones or take offs shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X