Spark Plug Boots Not Staying Seated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Boots Not Staying Seated

The new boots have the clip in them. You just unscrew and pull the old ones off. Snip a 1/4 inch or so off the wires and push and screw the new boots on. I like to put a zip tie on the boot to clamp it to the wire.

SLT 780 spark plug boots do not stay seated during trailering and use. They lift up up to 10 mm from normal seated position on spark plug. I re-seat boot each time I stop engine. Engine seems to run fine but suspect electrical arcing is occurring inside the boot and center spark plug contact tip has 1mm of metal wore away after 10 to 20 hours. If I change the NGK Spark plug Boot (TB05EMA molded into cap) will this correct problem. Does the Spark Plug Boot have the metal contact clip as part of assembly? How do you change the boot and contact clip from spark plug wire end?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the help SeaLion. Looks like it is time to replace them.

Wayne

Comment

1: you can use plyers to squeeze the clips back to some tension. [only so many times [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img] ]

2: clip 1/4" off the ends of the wires before screwing in new boot ends.

3: I use zipties around the base of the boot, once installed on the spark plug. It keeps things secure and fewer vibrations mean better contact and clip life. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

SeaLion and Skexies

Thanks for the help. I still need to see if local dealer has boots in stock to save shipping time. Found them mailorder for $25 include ground shipping. Since I am getting new boots thought I would try reversing the sparkplug threaded tip. I think they are tighter than new. Looks ok to test this weekend.

Do you use dielectric grease in boots to keep terminal accing from occurring?

Thanks Wayne

Comment

Yes di-electric grease is good. I forgot to mention that.

Comment

Working...
            X