'93 SL750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 SL750

new sbt motor....fired right up, currently on 5th tankfull....using 2nd fuel pump for #1 cyl.....eliminated oil pump running 40:1 premix, has fuel starvation problems, went back through carbs....found nothing....got it back together...fired it up in garage.....ran 30~45 seconds....got up this morning to take to lake, got it there and nothing.....no fire to any of the plugs.....opened black box, checked all connections, cleaned regapped plugs....any ideas?
    thanks in advance....
    H

Check the fuses, try another battery, check all your connections for corrosion.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

haven't seen any fuses....where are they located?
      battery is brand new.....first thing i did was check all connections, all are clean with dilectric (sp?) grease on them....

Comment

fuses are inside the electrical box

You'll have to unscrew it open and verify their condition and the condition of the connections inside.

Comment

i opened it, and checked all the connections.....again. Also, there are no fuses in there.....stator ohmed out ok.....
          ordered a CDI unit.....hope thats it.
          H

Comment

Did you have the lanyard plugged in? The older Ps will still turn over without the lanyard but it will not produce spark. Maybe the start stop housing is bad? It definitely could be the cdi but it's always best to rule out the other items first.

Comment

I forgot to mention the coils too. They are wired in series so if one is bad, none will work.

Here is the complete test for no spark.

Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the cdi to the engine stop switch. Does it have spark?

If yes, measure the resistence of the stop switch. This should be done with the lanyard in and must read infinite.

If no, disconnect the stator to cdi wires. Test the resistence values of the flywheel coils. Primary coil (black to black/white) .2 to .6 ohms. Secondary (black to secondary lead) 3.3K ohms. If the resistence values are in specs, replace the cdi module.

If the resistence values are not in specs isolate which component's resistence is not within specs.

Remove the flywheel and stator. Recheck resistences; look for pinched or bare wire harness; or replace the stator assembly.

Comment

tested kill switch.....read infinate with lanyard in, pulled lanyard, got continuity. did same using button W/ lanyard in.
                i tested the stator per manual, and it ohmed out fine.....had a buddy that works at polaris dealership come over and do the same thing....he suggested the cdi.....
                gawd i hope it's not the stator...don't want to have to pull the engine.....
                thanks for the response,
                h

Comment

forgot to mention when i stabbed engine i made d@#m sure stator wires weren't pinched, or rubbing against anything....
                  H

Comment

oh well....CDI didn't fix problem.....guess engines coming back out.....

Comment

Fuel starving:

Leaking pressure from the fuel tank [filler caps on those models are known for busting gaskets / cracking]

pulling water in fuel? older models have water sep. in the hull, dunno if the '93 did. They also can get clogged.

If you have the 'ol autocock by the OEM fuel pump, eliminate it.

Clogged petcock, sometimes the rubber seal deteriorates inside and limits fuel flow.

Electrical:

bad grounds? corroded / loose wires in elec box? broken / corroded main electric board. [seen it more than once]

have you checked the resistance of the ignition coils inside the electrical box? as sealion mentioned, they are in series... so if one goes, they all stop working.

Comment

replaced fuel cap, and gesket, cleaned and blew out fuel switch, no fuel/water seperator.....replaced all fuel lines.....bypassed autocock first time out as a troubleshooting measure...never put it back....ordered 3 outlet mikuni pump will replumb while i have it down. electrical box is good on inside...nice clean, no rust or corrosion....pulled stator, found what looks like burnt spot on it....there are 3 screws in center 2 are nice and clean, third looks like something arc'd off it.....as far as testing the coils, i'm sort of foggy on that one.....this is my first rodeo with a jetski.
                        thanks for the tips....
                        H

Comment

I'm bettin on a bad coil. Thats the way they go too, work fine one day then nothing. I've got the Polaris factory shop manual around here someplace, I'll dig it out and get you the spec's on testing the coils as soon as I can.

Comment

turned out to be the stator....got it back together, and it fired right up.....
                            another problem? switched from polaris oil to penzoil synthetic blend....performance seemed to drop.....i could get it to 48~50mph with polaris oil, when i switched over could get maybe 40~42mph....
                            using pre-mix at 40:1.....any ideas?

Comment

Oil doesn't have anythign to do with it unless you mixed the wrong ratio. Try new plugs.
                              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X