1996 SLT 780 110 Hours Any Maintenance Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 SLT 780 110 Hours Any Maintenance Items

My stock 1996 SLT 780 is now at 110 hours. Seems to run like new. Any preventative maintenance items I need to schedule in. (like cylinder head retorq or oil injection pump concerns). Machine is used in fresh water with Penszoil Synthetic or synthetic blend oil. How durable are the Fuji triple 780's engines. What should be the normal expected engine hours before rebuild/replace. Any high hour 780 out their?

Thanks
    Wayne

Overall the 780 block is alright, the cranks are the first thing to usually go, but I would expect another couple hundred hours at least, if everythign else holds together. Retorqing the heads isn't a bad idea, and replacing the oil pump is good too, it's borderline for the age we see them tend to have problems. If you do, replace the oil lines as well.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Tech support

Thanks for the input

Wayne

Comment

I am on my second motor, with only a few more hours than yours. However, the problems were not of the motor's making. It siezed at around 112 hrs, and the cause was not really determined completely. However, I believe it overheated due to a bad thermostat. Unfortunately, the mfd failed to report the condition, so I did not realize it until too late. Rebuilt the top end and replaced the water rail and thermostat.
        Second time around was 13 hours later, and was caused by an air leak in the brand new fuel pick up. Put an sbt crank and another new top end in it. Runs great now, but the new mfd (last summer) is already showing signs of condensation. I guess it is not unreasonable in manufacturers mind to put a new 200+$ mfd in every 12 to 18 months.
        Keep an eye on the thermostat (manual recommends annual replacement), and if it starts wide open throttle shut downs, check the fuel supply for leaks or constriction. I think it has the potential to run a long time.

Comment

Working...
        X