Flywheel Broke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel Broke?

I have a 95 780. I went to go use the ski this past weekend and it was very slow starting like a very low battery. I stopped trying to start it and go off it. Then hit the button again and just heard the starter spinning. I took off the front cover tonight to see if the bendix gear was stuck and not popping out to connect to the flywheel.

To my amazement I saw it was popping out and spinning the flywheel but only the outer part of the flywheel was spinning with the gears. The two center hubs werent spinning. I can hand turn the center part and fell the resistance from the pistons moving. Is there a key os something that connects the outer part(gear) of the flywheel to the center two parts? Or did the flywheel just seperate? It doesnt wobble or anything.

I looked in my repair manual and doesnt go into any detail on the flywheel just how to remove it. Anyone have any insight?

It's a press-fit, and it sometimes happens. You need a new flywheel.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Do you all sell flywheels? I didnt see them on your parts site.

If not, do you have any idea how much a new one would run me?

Comment

No we don't. Try your local dealer.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You may think this is crazy, but take a look on Ebay, I bet you will find one.

Comment

Yeah ebay is the first place I checked... They dont have any current auctions running them but there are some in completed that were never sold even though the starting bid was only 25. I wouldnt dare buy a new one after seeing the prices.

Comment

Check one of the salvage yards. I got one from Dunnavants earlier this year.

Paul
              Iron Flight<BR>Nassau Bay,Texas

Comment

Give Mitchell a call. Here is the web site:

http://www.mm-marine.com/

Comment

That flywheel is only on the 780 motors do not buy one for a 650/750 or 785 they are not the same. I have used one for sale if you need one. email me @ polarisguru@comcast.net :D

Comment

Working...
                  X