I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help!

I have a 98 sltx 1050 that had a broken ring so I resleeved bored and put back together. Now it runs fine out of the water but when you put in the water it will only run about 3000 rpm. I took the carbs off and sprayed carb cleaner through all the ports and they appear to be clear. Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem might be.? I have also checked to make sure the prop intake was clear.

what is the compression. If it is 115-130 you should be ok there. I would then consider a carb rebuild.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

What about the overheat or low fuel warnings. I know some polaris models will limit rpm's if this happens.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

I'm getting a low fuel warning even though its full. I will check the compression tomorrow and report back.

[ October 07, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: ewilson ]

Comment

It's probably in limp-mode due to a defective float in the sending unit. Do a search on this forum and you should be able to get the part number for a replacement float. Give this number to your dealer. I believe it is $20-$25.

Comment

Or just disconect the pink wire conected to the fuel sender unit. I have done this in the past to get it running until you can get the fuel sender repaired.

Comment

I checked the compression, 120 to 125 across the board. I disconnected the pink wire and the low fuel warning went out. I can't get to the lake for a few days but I will let you know how it turned out. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP>

Comment

I'm still having trouble, when I get on the water and start it up it will take off with full power and within about a minute it will slow down to about 3500 rpm and won't go any faster. If I let it sit for about 3 or 4 minutes and start it back up it runs real good for about a minute and then the same deal. I drained the fuel and removed the carbs and checked the pop off pressure they all three checked at 23 psi. Put fresh fuel in and tried again with t he same results. I'm not getting any overheat warnings and it doesn't die. Any ideas?

Comment

it sounds like you may have an air leak, check your gaskets for possible leaks
                  SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                  We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                  Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I just replaced the gaskets under the carbs this morning, are there others I should check?

Comment

reed gaskets may cause this. How do the plugs look when it slows down? Wet or dry?
                      If they are wet then then it may be the computer shutting down the ignition it it is dry then it may be running too lean and overheating and partialy seizeing.

Comment

the plugs were a little wet when I checked them, as for being lean I tried choking it a little while it was going and it would start to die rather than pick up any speed if that means anything. Whats weird is it will run great for about a minute. If it is the computer shutting it down is there any way of checking it?

[ October 12, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: ewilson ]

Comment

"CRANKSHAFT INDEXING" and out of phase is a common cause to this scenario. Have you checked it? If not email me and I can email you the indexing instructions. If the ring snagged the exhaust port ,it can also twist the crank indexing out of phase. You can also do it as simple as removing the coupler incorrectly. Also the early 1050(98) Polaris motors had stators that failed quite often. There is an upgraded ignition for your boat, but make sure your crank is within spec first. The ignition is $299.99 and the part # is 2873091 :D

Comment

OK, I did the indexing thing and the pistons are at 120 degree phasing. I next checked the coils with an ohm meter and my readings are 5800 ohms to 6100 ohms. The part number on my coils is pn4060153, from the info polarisguru sent me these coils should check at 1550 ohms. If this is correct could the coils be my problem?

Comment

I got it running, it was the a faulty temp sensor causing it to go into slow mode. Now it runs great, thanks for all the help. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X