Polaris Announce Recall of Watercraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris Announce Recall of Watercraft

Probably old news but I thought some of my PWC friends might find this information helpful.

http://www.industrypages.com/artman/..._News_3217.stm

Hey all affected owners - (with SBT permission of course) please post your experience with this issue to date. No going off on the Company here, be nice.

I'd just like to see how everyone is getting treated with regards to hinges already busted, hoods that have already been lost, etc...

Comment

Nobody??

Comment

Well let me tell you!! I took mine in(2000 SLX) and told them to do it and when I picked it up it has this big *** metal plate across the hood w/two holes drilled through and that is the anchor for it.If I can get some pics of it I will try to post them -but if I had of known how they were going to do it I wouldnt of had it done [img]/graemlins/angryfire.gif[/img]

[ January 24, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: 97 SL 1050 ]

Comment

Yes, please post pics - I am very interested in what their fix is for this problem.

I never did get any kind of notice in the mail from Polaris. I did let my dealer know that I own a Pro 1200, however, and was very interested in getting something done.

Yikes - I knew they had some form of safety cable loop under the hood, but a plate on the outside of the hood?

Comment

I am loading up the pixs now and will have them up shortly.The more I look at it the more I think I am going to take it off and cover up the 2 holesw/some kind of sticker

Comment

Here are the Pixs .if you are not able to view them let me know!!
              Polaris Watercraft recall Pixs

[ January 25, 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: 97 SL 1050 ]

Comment

That's just wrong man......what the hell were they thinking

Comment

**** if I know but if someone else has this done and it is different than this let me know -I will go and get me a new hood from them

Comment

That's FUGLY! I wondered how they were going to attach the safety cable, and now we know - yuck.

I will say this to those who say they aren't going to have the safety fix done - the hoods can and DO break off - mine must have been close to doing so and then popped off when a wave came over my bow. I was able to save the hood (latch stayed closed on the back, and do a very good fix on it (my opinion). I talked to another guy who has a Pro1200 late last summer (he was towing his to a storage place across the lake) and he said his hood flew off when his daughter was riding fast, it flew up and hit her on the shoulder and then into the water. I asked him if they float, he said "he// no!" Since all this recall occurred he was going back to the dealer to get a refund on the cost of the hood and hinge he replaced earlier.

Inspect very carefully the flat plate on the top of the hood hinge where the bolts go through and mount to the hood - they break off at the corners of this flat plate. I epoxied the "ears back on, and then used larger fender washers on the top and bottom to sandwich the plate where the fractures occurred.

I would suggest the fender washers to anyone who has one of these, may prevent the break from happening.

I'll send some pics sometime - I don't own a camera myself but will borrow one to show what I've done to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 97 SL 1050:
                      Here are the Pixs .if you are not able to view them let me know!!
                      Polaris Watercraft recall Pixs
                      i dont see anything...i get a page cannot be found
                      -Kevin

Comment

Keep trying - they are there. Just looked.

Comment

97 SL 1050,
                          By the looks of those pics "The cure is worse than the disease". POLARIS could of at least added a decal or etching to the plate to make it look stock.
                          Rob

[ March 18, 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Roboei ]

Comment

Robei-I have since gone back and complained to the dealer that had I of known it would look that bad ,I wouldnt of had it done. He told me he was going to order a decal that he thought would cover it .So when I get it I will let you guys know

Comment

97 SL 1050,
                              I am glad to know that your dealer is trying to clean-up the look of the recall item. Keep us informed. If the ordered decal looks nice, maybe we can recommend to POLARIS that the decal be included as part of the recall kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X