93 SL750 - Reviving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 SL750 - Reviving

Ok, I went and bought a 1993 SL750. The machine has been sitting for about 2+ years.

I brought it home, put a fresh battery to it, pulled the plugs out and turned it over (yeah!) Water shooting out pistons, obviously a water-injestion case. I plan tonight to pull the gas and oil tanks, and clean the fuel and oil lines out, and clean the fuel pump/carburators.

Granted, I know the motor will have to be totally re-worked by an eventual buyer, it's on a pathway to destruction in its current state, if I get it to start. All I want to do is get it to start so I know it will run for someone eventually.

Question: I'm getting what seems like an extraordinary amount of water out the pistons, like it's sucking it up from the manifold or somewhere in the lower end - I've looked in the cylinders and they are clear of water (until I start cranking and then it sprays it out). Is there a place on the lower end of the motor I can open to let the water that seems to be in the crankcase out through the lower piping? (remember I can't run it yet so blowing it out that way may not be feasible).

Also, I'm seeing next to the fuel pump what Partsland.com calls the autocock. What is this and isn't it something everyone is doing away with when they have these motors?

By the way, I think the motor will run once I clear the lines and replace with good gas. Its coughing a little bit already when I hit the starter.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go here, but I've yakked too much already.

Thanks in advance.

Do NOT try to start the engine unless you really want to buy a new set of cases, should you throw a rod and blow them out!

There is absolutely no point in doing what you are doing, the engine is toast, the fuel system needs to be completely cleaned out, etc. as you already said.

The autocock is to be removed per a 1994 Polaris Tech update.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I'm going to clean the fuel and oil systems.

All I'm wanting to do is verify that it will fire, so I can advertise it as a "running rebuilder". I'm parting the boat, eventually.

Comment

I totally understand. What I meant by running was that I could get some good gas and oil in the lines and it would start to fire (just a good cough or so) - then I quit, all done, I've accomplished what I want - to determine that the electronics are still good. Then I likely will either try to sell as one unit or part it out (I think the latter will pay off more in the long run).

Anyway, I'm just doing LOTS and LOTS of cleaning right now. Took out the gas tank and oil tanks last night, cleaned them up.

If I was serious about fixing this one up, I'd already have the motor out and on my bench.

Comment

It doesn't matter if you get it to fire or not, you can't run it in that condition. It's not a running rebuilder, it's a toasted rebuilder. You run it you will destroy it.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X