compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression

I'm about to leave on a trip to Florida,just thought I'd check out the machines,found the SLX compression to be:115,105,115,any worries?

10 lbs. low on the center is cause for concern, that is most likely indicative of some damage. If it performs fine, just keep an eye on it. Did you ever seize it?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

no,just purchased it from original owner,never been apart,71 hours total,Thanks,Bill

Comment

I'm wondering,if,maybe he didn't break-in properly? what do you think?

Comment

just run it till it blows up. with 71 hrs i feel its nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

thanks!! LOL,I'll enjoy it while I can! Merry Christmas! Bill

Comment

I have a 2002 Virage TX with the same 1200cc engine in it. Mine has 107.4 hours on it
              (I bought it new) I checked my compression and all 3 cylinders are exactly140 PSI. I was a little "over cautious" when I broke it in. The first 20 minutes in the water I just let the engine idle, and I never opened it up past 3/4 throttle (for a second or two) until I had 10 hours on it. I ran 2 gallons of conventional oil in it before I switched to synthetic. My Polaris factory shop manual calls for the compression to be between 120-150 PSI with no more than a 5% difference between any cylinders. I would be careful with your SLX, it sounds like trouble is brewing in your engine :(

Good luck,
              Rick

[ December 28, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: UnoWho ]

Comment

My '02 Polaris Watercraft Service Manual, Part #9917370 calls for the standard compression (open throttle @ sea level) to be between 120-150 psi with no more than 5% difference between cylinders. Due to variances in compression gages and other factors like elevation, I wouldn't worry too much about the magnitude of the reading, but focus on the % difference between cylinders. 5% of 115 psi is about 6 psi, so you are indeed a little low. I wouldn't worry about it myself, but then again, I don't worry about much. From what I've read, triples usually have lower compression than twins anyway. I guess maybe Polaris got lazy when they wrote a general compression spec. for all models in their service manual.

Comment

jedw, yes you are right. it is 120-150 PSI, I typed the wrong button in my previous posting and I corrected it. I have the same exact shop manual that you have .(page #2.14) I hope I never need it for anything major :D

Comment

Working...
                  X