No announcement yet.

dies after reaching top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or, not necessary to buy a block off kit. Just remove the oil pump drive shaft and put the pump back on. Guaranteed a good fit. Then cap the fittings and you are all set. Hardware store sells the plastic caps for pennies.

Good advice skimmer. I have found it is always best to examine the simple things first. These engines are fairly durable with reasonable care.

Comment

Yes remove the gear that drives the oil pump
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

ill let every one know what happens after i get my carbs back and run the ski

Comment

**** man the 3cyl polaris are just not worth their time. My buddy has a 95 SLX with basically the same problem. It goes no prob. until the pump gets out of the water then loads again at 3/4 to full throttle it dies. I rode it and when staying off the gas (1/2 throttle) you can feel a cyl lose power then gain it again when hitting a wave. Also it starts immeadately after it dies. I have rebuilt all carbs and fuel pump, rechecked the fuel pump, had the electronics checked, checked all fuel lines, took his OP head off and went to stock, all cyls have same compression. I'm thinking maybe we have bad gaskets that were new with the OP head that we will replace this year but we spent all last summer on this POS.
          97 SPX built to go fast, and jump...What YOU got?

Comment

I'm telling you, gas lines get old quicker than you think + sit with fuel in them that is NOT always treated for sitting long times (un-stabilized fuel can eat and or clog fuel lines on a winter sitting) All it takes is a small area of it to collapse in on itself from the vac suction of the pump. This can also happen in the tank pick-ups on some models. It is then a freak, stall problem that will just happen in upper RPM’s . $20 to $30 replace ALL lines every 2 to 3 years is cheap maintenance ANY reputable shop will tell you on ANY ski no matter who makes it.

Comment

hey i got my carbs back today and learned how to rebuild if i have to but when i was taking off the carbs i accidently took off the intake manifold and found a chipped reed iknow that the reeds have nothing to do with top end but i need to get some stock reeds before i put the intake and carbs back on ill let yall know after i get the reeds thanks again for the help

Comment

any update on this ski?? we will be working on my buddies in a few weeks...
                97 SPX built to go fast, and jump...What YOU got?

Comment

nothing yet to report on it still waiting on reeds to arrive

Comment

i finally got the reeds in installed reset carb low &high setting as per polaris manual but still dies at 5500 rpm i noticed that the front cyl was way hotter than the exhaust was so i removed the cooling bar and checked it & it was all flowing good my ???? is why is the front cyl so much hotter than the other cyl & the exhaust the compression is good in all 3 cyl @ 125 psi

Comment

The front cylinder runs hotter normally, especially on the hose.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

would the heat sensors shut the engine down if they were shorting out or what else would make it die around 550 rpm im out of ideas if any one can hep please let me know thanks

Comment

i ment 5500 rpm does it have a limp mode or something like it its a 94 sl 750

Comment

Mmmmm? I don't think Polaris was that smart yet on your model. Idiot light is all you get I think and if you don't catch it quick you feel like an idiot with a bad piston or two...

You need to do a plug check IN THE WATER after it dies VERY QUICK. Are they wet, oily black, tan & dry, missing the tips(ok, just a joke), etc, etc. ALL THREE PLUGS, note what they look like (#1 being front and #3 far back) and post please.

Comment

i believe its the cdi because i rode it tues. and ran great igot it to 5500 and i saw a barge coming towards me so i slowed down and cruised back to the dock just in case it died out in front of the barge then after it passed it would not run, it would crank over but not run would i be correct by saying its the cdi

Comment

THE NEWS ON MY SKI IS THAT YALL WAS RIGHT THE FRONT CYL SIEZED I CHECKED COMP. TODAY AND IT WAS FROM THE BACK TO FRONT CYL 100 100 25 THERE WAS NO METAL FLAKES ON PLUGS OR HOLE IN THE PISTON THAT I SAW SO NOW IM LOOKING FOR SOME 780 CYL. W/ PISTONS THANX FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X