dies after reaching top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dies after reaching top speed

I'm new to the jet ski world i just bought a polaris SL750 for cheap took it to the water for test run i let it warm up in the cold water for about 3-5 min then i turned circles accelerating slowly till it got to rough then i accelerated to about 25 on speedometer then opened it up it went approx. 30-50yards at full throttle then died and would not run again for about 15-20 min then i went back to the trailor before i got there it died again please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have seized it and done damage - do NOT run it again or you WILL do more. You need to pull the engine and tear it down. It's very likely you have a fuel issue, as the stock 750 pumps were inadaqate for the job and very often seized the egnines.

[ April 06, 2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Technical Support ]
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

would the still run out of the water if it was siezed

Comment

what kind of damage have i caused to engine like what would ineed to do as like rebiuld whole engine or hone cylinders put new rings etc. thanx

Comment

Yes. A seizure is rarely permanent. One the metal cools off (usually a minute or two) the engine will usually turn over and restart, although the cause is still there.

Comment

You won't know what kind of damage was done until you can tear into it and take a look. If any aluminum has gotten to the crank, it needs to be replaced. The 750's were known for putting a hole right through the #1 piston.

Comment

I found more info on this ski, the compession is 130 psi all cylinders, no alluminum on plugs, plugs are black, starts and runs fine all day long till upper end, like fuel ,or spark shutting down , slow pulling of the throttle will run it almost to the top of the speed? I dont think it is a siezure, it has just been through at the dealer for the top end, and the comp. is strong, any other ideas, anyone??

Comment

Does it slowly die or suddelny? Does it crack right over when it does or is it stuck or slow?

Comment

It dies suddenly , and at the same speed every time, and restarts ,perfect after it sits for 10 minutes, (HEAT SENSOR?) , will these just shut off when they have a sensor problem, or slow down the rpms like yamaha and continue to run?

Comment

The heat sensor will just slow it down.
                    Take your carbs off and inspect them and rebuld them.
                    That will be your first step after confirming the carbs are set to factory settings.
                    It is running lean and seizing and causeing damage to the engine.
                    Check this before you ride it anymore.
                    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

could I try using a better fuel pump or should I go ahead and check/rebuild carbs first because I dont want to damage my first ski what would be my next step after carbs

Comment

I would pull the carbs and order a new fuel pum and carb rebuild kits and take care of it all at once.
                        Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

You guy ALL seem to jump the gun on this prob and jump with an EXPENSIVE fix too. Wouldn't it be a good idea to check the fuel filter water trap and see if it is getting clogged then unclogging itself?? This would cost ohhhhhhhhh uh lets see, NOTHING!!! Then check your fuel lines to make sure they are not colapsing or vaccuming themselves closed. Check fuel on/res/off/ valve for any blockage. Check your fuel tank too, look for anything (junk) floating around in it. ALL of this will cost you TIME, not CASH (for the most part). START SIMPLE and work up from there. If you can, get out on the water and pull the plugs AFTER it dies, ALL OF THEM. Note if they are wet, dark black, brown, light tan, BROKEN OFF, etc. I ,for one, would like to know this FIRST before you blow a wad on PARTS...........
                          START SIMPLE PEOPLE [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          Was the next BIG tip going to be BUY A NEW SKI??

Comment

What you may not know is, it only takes about an oz of water in the fuel to lean a carb out enough to seize an engine. Yes he may have a fuel supply issue of some kind - but it still does expensive damage. Tese engines are not like cars - they are NOT tolerant to water or lean conditions.

Comment

thanks for the cheaper tips i have already borrowed a better fuel pump and checked tank got new ngk plugs i'm waitng for mon. to get new filters and a service manual. ? could the oil injection be putting to much oil into carbs or not enouph causing it to shut down because if it is possible iwill go to pre mix before i take it out again thanks for all the info or any new info

Comment

Working...
                              X