Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki Rooster Tail

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone made a kit whereby I could convert my Kawasaki STX 1100 D.I. to make it squirt a stream of water up in the air at the rear of the boat, just like the Yamahas? To some of you hot-shoe jet pilots, this may not be cool beans, but with all the drinking going on on the lakes, to me it is a safety issue.

One of the first principles of safe driving/boating is:
    MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU!!!!!!!!
    -------------------------------------------------

"The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. LORD! -How they could fight."
    Maj Gen Frank Lowe, United States Army

If you value your freedom, thank a vet.

USMCDAD

There are no off-the-shelf kits, but you could fabricate something with a small tube and some JB-Weld.

Comment

Use the following parts from Yamaha:
      quantity in parentheses() prices are each.

62G-62693-00-00 Spout (1) $17.51

62G-62695-00-00 Cap, Spout (1) $1.47

98780-05012-00 Screw (2) $0.76

92990-05200-00 Washer (2) $0.40

95380-05800-00 Nut, lock (2) $1.42
      John Kubiak
      Powersports Technical Training Professional
      Las Vegas, Nevada
      Sea-Doo Tech 13736
      PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
      PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
      NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
      Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'll go with the Yamaha parts. That should give me an identical stream w/velocity, quantity, & height of spray.

May not get around to this modification immediately, as we're going to Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee for vacation next week, but I'll let you know how it works.

I appreciate your responses.

USMCDAD

Comment

Safest thing maybe would be to bore a hole in the pressure chamber of the pump, tap it for a "pipe threaded nipple" (Brass from Lowe's drawers in plumbing dept or NAPA) to slip your hose onto, then use the stern parts as mentioned previously.
          ***1100 Venture***<br />OE head mod-- by Riva Yamaha<br />Wiseco (+ .5mm)<br />True-welded crank<br />Riva F/A+ Jet kit<br />Boyeson Power reeds<br />Riva 1100 CDI<br />NGK plugs- BR8HS<br />R&D Aqua-Vein<br />Solas 14-21 Super Camber//Impros<br />Riva rideplate<br />Amsoil "AIO" @ 50:1 pre-mix, currently KLOTZ Ski-Craft<br />MOBIL-1 grease in the pump<br />Sears Diehard<br /><br /> Dream-meter shows 65---- GPS says 54.2 mph best, 9/14/02 @ 850 ft elevation

Comment

The "safest" bet is to use the parts I recommended, they attach directly to the inside end of the steering nozzle, and do not require any plumbing from the pressure area in the pump. They are for a 1995 WaveRunner III which did not need external plumbing from the pump to operate.
            John Kubiak
            Las Vegas, Nevada
            Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Sounds like a good "safety" mod as well. John, do you know if the parts you called out will also work on an '01 SD GTS?
              '97 SLT700
              '95 750ZXI
              '04 Zieman

Comment

yes
                John Kubiak
                Las Vegas, Nevada
                Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

:D Thanks John. **** , is there anything you guys DON'T know about PWC's??????? Thanks again. I hope to do this mod shortly.
                  '97 SLT700
                  '95 750ZXI
                  '04 Zieman

Comment

Collectively, no, we have many, many years of experience in the watercraft and/or powersports related fields.

But we all can learn something each time!
                    John Kubiak
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

I have just installed these parts on my '01 SD GTS, but I won't be on the water till next weekend to test it out. Installation was easy. A couple of side notes: I did not see a need for the "washers", so I didn't install them. Also, I was given a slightly different part number for the "cap" from my dealer....all seems well. Yamaha describes the nuts as "lock nuts", they are not, so I used blue loctite on them. On my boat, I had to break out the dremel tool and grind away a small portion of the reverse bucket to allow the "shooter tube" a clear path. I'll post results after next weekend. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]
                      '97 SLT700
                      '95 750ZXI
                      '04 Zieman

Comment

OK, results time......from my above post, you see I installed the parts John recommended. The only word that comes to mind right now is......AWESOME! John you were right on the money! It felt like I was ridin' a YAMA-DOO! The rooster tail looked exactly like any Yamaha out there....very cool. This is an excellent safety mod! Thanks again, John! :D
                        '97 SLT700
                        '95 750ZXI
                        '04 Zieman

Comment

anybody give better instructions for assembly for the rooster tail for us rookies? on a 97 spx...do you have to drill? or just attatch?

Comment

The washers are needed between the steering nozzle and the screw heads. this is to prevent stress cracks on the steering nozzle.

Installation instructions....Once you have the parts in your hands, it will be self explanatory.

Go find a WaveRunner III or a VXR, they have this exact style of "rooster shooter" installed as factory original, that will explain how to install it the best way of all
                            John Kubiak
                            Las Vegas, Nevada
                            Sea-Doo Tech 13736

Comment

Re: Kawasaki Rooster Tail

Will this work on a 1998 Seadoo GSX Limted just wanting to make sure before i go out and buy the parts for it
                              Last edited by JetSkiRider721; 05-04-2005, 02:31 AM.
                              SeaDoo GSX Limted 1998

Seadoo XP 1996

Seadoo XP 1994 Twin Carb

Comment

Working...
                              X