Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump removal with engine in hull

Oil pump removal with engine in hull:

With the carbs removed, is is possible to reach down in far enough to remove the oil pump? Also, your tech page mentioned a plastic shaft that has to be pulled out with plyers. Can this be done with the engine in the hull? I don't recall a plastic shaft when I installed the engine (1996 SLT780). Is the plasic shaft hard to remove? My line of site and room to work is tight.

Right now I'm running premix with a bad oil pump. If possible, I'd like to block it off without pulling the motor.

Thanks!

Jamie.

No I do'nt think there is enough clearance between the plate.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

along these lines, Tech #2, do you see a problem with this scenario? :

I'm thinking if I can't get mine out (gonna give it a good try this weekend) then what if I take the supply line, and tee it to the three outlets, thereby creating a loop.

Comment

Then you'll burn it out, and have a nice air leak into your case eventually.

Comment

Jamie - please update your email address.

Comment

Okey-doke. Get this, I measured last time out, just how much it was using, and man, to my surprise, instead of less, it was using double (20:1)

Comment

if the 780 is like the sl750 it is alot easier to put the block off in with the carbs removed i just done mine

Comment

It is not a platsic gear it is metal and it is on a shaft. You should be able to take the pump off then pull the shaft out with needlenose pliers etc. Then put the block off plate on with the o-ring, either a new one or off of the pump. If you need pics let me know and I will post them 4 you.

Comment

The problem is the clearance, there often isn't any.

Comment

do you think this can be done with the engine in the hull? I'm sure I can get the pump out, but not sure about the gear/shaft. What if the gear/shaft is not removed?

Comment

I was able to get the pump off and the gear and shaft out on my polaris. I had the carbs off at the time which makes it easier. If you can't get the gear and shaft out it will not hurt it however put the washers back in that were there if you are leaving the gear / shaft in place.

Comment

yeah, my hands are a bit of contortionists too. I was able to do it with the carbs on even. Gotta be patient and have eyeballs on your fingers. But hey, I'm probably above a typical weekend mechanic, I love this stuff. If they tested my blood, I'm sure they'd find gas and oil deposits.

my key to success on this matter was using an extended 1/4" drive allen wrench socket (home made).

Comment

Originally posted by surveyguy:
                          Gotta be patient and have eyeballs on your fingers.
                          Yea. This is the only machine I have ever worked on where I need climb all over it like a lunatic looking for the angle where my elbows and wrists bend the correct way to reach what I am after. And when you reach it - you stare up at the sky concentrating because looking at it gains you nothing.
                          WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
                          Skat Trak D-75 SS 6 Vein Pump
                          Skat Trak 13/18 Swirl Impeller

Comment

Working...
                          X