'00 polaris intermittant start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 polaris intermittant start

Hey guys, I just recently bought a '00 polaris 750 and on the first trip to the lake it ran fine for about an hour. Then it wouldn't start with the push button. I could start it by jumping the solenoid. I loaded it up and come home.The next morning I hit the buton and it started right up. To get to the point, I bought another solenoid and it cranked fine for the first 20 or so starts. Then it started the same thing over, intermittantly. I nstalled a push button that would jump the solenoid and that worked for a couple of times. Then I lost spark. I did find that if I disconnected the battery cable and reinstalled it it would crank and run one time. What's my problem, I know from reading in this site you guys know what your talking about. Please help.

Re: '00 polaris intermittant start

Make sure all of your connections such as the negative cable to the block is good and not loose. If you do not find a problem then I would assume you have a problem in the cdi box. You should get a shop manual to diagnose the cdi.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I checked the connections and all seemed to be good. Is there an online source for a repair manual? And also I read something about low battery voltage not allowing it to start. Is there anything to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
        You should get a shop manual to diagnose the cdi.
        I have a shop manual, and as far as I can tell, and from talking to mechanics, you can't diagnose the CDI module. For most people, the process goes like this: you start having electrical problems, you ohm your various connections, ignition coils, stator, etc. You replace a few parts here and there --- finally, after your problem persists, you chunk down the money for a new CDI module---which fixes your problem. So "diagnosing" a CDI problem is actually just guessing it is the CDI by process of elimination.

If anybody knows different, please let me know, because I have a 95 Polaris SLT 750 with an intermittent spark problem that I'd like to know the $269 CDI module will fix it BEFORE I buy it. By process of elimination, I'm down to either the CDI or possibly the stator (or both). Although ohm tests seem to indicate the stator is OK per specs in the service manual.

Comment

you may also want to check the back side of the electrical board and make sure there is no corrosion jumping the contacts

Comment

Working...
          X