Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

900zxi trim box needed and info...help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900zxi trim box needed and info...help!!

Hello

I need some info on how to disconnect that frigen trim box. ALso I need a new trim box being that everything inside is corridid. There was sand and water in the box. I can't get the box out...I can't disconnect the trim cable from the motor..I have the manual but couldn't seem to figure it out. It was a long day and I was doing the trim box after i painted the inside of the ski and used about a gallon of contact cleaner(i think it was safe to say that i needed a little more oxygen then i was getting) but anyway i still need to get a new one and get the old one out..thanks Peter

Hi Again,

What about installing a manual trim cable and get rid of the electric trim???What about the electrical part, is that easy to abandon wires in place so that it doesn't effect the other parts of the electrical box...thanks Peter

Comment

Peter, Sounds like you are doing a total restoration. What year is your 900? Can you unbolt the trim housing from the hull?
      I found it alot easier to work on the components when the trim box was up on top of the motor. Do you need to replace all the components. A simple test to check the motor would be to hook it directly to a battery. Does not matter which wire goes to positive or negative. I have had many problems with my trim unit. The 95 unit is different that the 96-97 units. I have a 95, my problem was in the circuit board controlling the motor. It is incased in a white plastic box. That board is about a $100 part. If you decide to replace the parts, when you put the cover back on use a good about if silicone as well as the o-ring. I even went as far as putting silicone in around the trim cable where it enters the box. It will make it a pain in the *** when I have to open the box. (hopefully I never will)

I have heard there is a way to bypass the electric trim but do not know how to do it. (its not as simple as just unplugging the connectors) As far as a manual trim, I do not know if any are specifically made for the 900 but I figure that one can be adapted for it.

Good luck! There doesn't seem to be that many 900 Zxi riders out there, guess it's because the 1100. Don't fear, with the right mods your 900 can outperform Stock to mildly modded 1100's. I know because mine does!!!!!!

Comment

My 900 is a 95 [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Since it is a 95, and I am familiar with the 95. If the trim motor itself works. (disconnnect it, and wire it directly to the battery and test) Then I would suspect that the circuit board went bad. If you choose to replace that, then your trim unit should function again. Make sure you use a good amount of dielectrical grease on all the electrical connectors. When assembling the unit make sure and grease everything that needs grease. (service manual will tell you)
          The design of the trim unit is my only gripe with kawasaki and the ZXI. Mine has failed 3 times. Lucky for me 2 times were under warranty.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

How do you get the box disconnected from the trim cable? I am having some difficulty getting it free. I realized later that you have to take out the hull fitting and then pull the whole cable out. Am I correct?? Also do you know what size hull fitting that is?? This project has really gotten out of hand!!

Comment

Peter, I unbolted the trim unit from inside the hull. Get it up above the motor. Take the top off. Once you have the top off, you can unscrew the brass fitting where the cable goes in. (It might be easier to unscrew the brass fitting before you unbolt the trim unit from the hull.)Once that is done, remove the parts that are inside. The cable should then come out of the box. (just remember which way the parts came out) I did not remove the hull fitting where the cable comes out of hull. (I don't know what size it is) Let me know if this is of any help!!! Feel free to shout out if you need more help.

Scott

Comment

Working...
              X