high compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high compression

Bryan, I just got off the phone with the person who's got my ski. He said that the head does accomodate the cylinder size and pistons. That was the same head that was on before the engine was rebuilt. He thought I had the head or cylinder milled but I did not. I'm still stuck cause he's telling me I'm going to have to run 93 octane (as I did before) but withand octane boost or 93 octane with VP racing fuel mixture. I'd prefer getting the compression down.

Whatever head you put on, you need to have it machined to accomodate your oversize pistons. Out of the box, they are formed for standard size.

----- Original Message -----
    To: 'info@sbtontheweb.com'
    Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 12:44 PM
    Subject: high compression

I just purchased a Kaw 550 standup ski in June and one of the rod bearings blew in late July. I'm fairly new to the PWC seen but consider myself somewhat engine knowledgeable. I recently had a new crankshaft put in my ski. I had the cylinder bored, honed, & chamfered and got new pistons. I have a high performance head. Anyway my compression in one cylinder is about 183 and the other is about 185. I'm told the factory spec's are around 150. I have a problem blowing head gaskets. I have not used any gasket sealer/adhesive. Do you think this would help? I had a stock head put on to see if the compression would go down but it didn't. I don't know how to get the compression down. Idea's???
    Thanks,
    Tim George

I would also agree that you should get the head recut to lower the compression to pump gas standards.

Whatever you do - do NOT use gas + 'octane boost' - it does NOT work to raise the octane of the gas and you WILL blow up your engine! There is no other way excet to blend higher octane gas in.

Comment

That's just it. The shop that's got the ski say's the head doesn't need recut. It accomodates the piston's and cylinder's. I should've just bought a short block from you, but with the high performance parts (head, exhaust) I figured I'd just buy the crank, rods, & piston's put it back together and run 93 octane and be good to go. But it developed intermittant peeing and head gasket blew. The shop is saying because of the high compression. I'm tempted to just get it back, they've had it for over a month.

Comment

Working...
      X