No announcement yet.

milling 650 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would also require reworking the head...correct??!?

I ask because if so, I will wait to send my head in to have it machined until then.

Thanks again...
    Brian

Comment

Correct [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Could reeds affect the compression? What is a good reed for the 650 kawi?
        Thanks,
        Brian

Comment

No they don't effect compression.

Boyesen are great reeds!

Comment

What do you recommend as far as compression testers go?

Sears has one made by Kal Equipment that they say on their site is extremely accurate. It sells for $114, The Mac is $130, and the Snap on is around $200 from what I hear.

I called a local store and they carry KD gauges for $40. He said he has sold them for years to mechanics and has had great luck. I hate to spend $100+ dollars on a tool I may use once a year. My experience is tools like this need to be used to stay in good working order. I am not a mechanic and will not use it very often, but on the same note, I can take my guage back and only be out $60 more and have a nice tool.

How do I know what a good one is. Price is not always a good tell tale sign. You mentioned having them calibrated (or someone did) how do you do this and how do you check for accuracy.
            Brian

Comment

Any of those will be leaps and bounds better than the one you have. If you really only need it a couple times ayear, just run your ski to a dealer and give a tech a fiver to test it for you.

Comment

I called a machine shop that I have dealt with in the past and he told me the craftsman or the KD would be good to go with. He unfortunately does not test compression for people. I had hoped I could pay him a few bucks to run the test.

The problem with the local ski shop is I do not trust them with much at all...I called them yesterday to ask about putting a helicoil in and mentioned my other problems and his immediate reaction was spend $400-$500 and do a complete top end rebuild, "because toys are expensive and you have to pay to play." This after I spent 5 minutes convincing him my 650SX engine is a Kawi enigine and out of a jet ski. IDIOTS!!! I truly think if I had taken it to him he would have not even checked things out and would have told me that is what had to be done. ...he then bashed me for buying a motor from SBT. What would you do???

Now, I may end up having to go with new pistons and rings, but I would like to make sure it is necessary before doing this and not just a poor gauge or caused by stripped head bolts.
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X