Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Cyl Kawasaki Watercraft Engines Need to be Recalled for Emissions Violations !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-Cyl Kawasaki Watercraft Engines Need to be Recalled for Emissions Violations !

The 3 cylinder DI models are Big-Time Emission Violators.
    Every one I've ridden stumbles in the mid-range RPM band.
    (My pal owns a Kawasaki Dealer)

WOT riding is fine, idle is fine. Even after doing the 5% Lean with a laptop the 1100DI's still run with a drdrrrdr-put-dr-put--drrrr-put--rr--put-put This is dumping Raw fuel/Oil mixture directly into the waterways.

All owners of these malfunctioning machines need to join into a class action suit against Kawasaki.

I'm a loyal Kawasaki customer since 1972, ALL of my street bikes have been New Kaw's and most all my dirt bikes.

All of my Watercraft have been Kawasaki.

Since Kawasaki introduced the 3-cylinder engine, they have all been plagued with the same problem.
    Many users do not notice this as they only run at full throttle.

Only at cruising rpm's do these 3 cyl engines show the skipping, and then you have to turn your head sideways to hear over the wind noise.

Much work on pop-off pressure changes, jetting, compression increase, plug heat range changes produce mixed results.

On my STX-1100 we did a few of things that now have totally eliminated the skipping;

1. Raise Compression to 155#
    2. Changed the angle of the squish band
    (I forget what degree)
    3. Install a "High-Altitude" main jet
    4. Install NGK #7 HR plugs instead of the cold #9's
    5. Install Oil pump from a 900cc engine

Now it purrs with No skipping, the fuel economy went from 4.5 mpg to about 7.0 mpg, Radar speeds indicate 54.4 mph
    This is on 87 octane fuel @ 650' Altitude.
    Plug checks never show any grey indicating detonation or too lean.

DrVette

How exactly did you measure and calculate your fuel consumption ratios before and after your mods? What data do you have to directly correlate the 'stumble' (which is often the by-product of a single piped triple cylinder engine) with "dumping Raw fuel/Oil mixture directly into the waterways"?

Comment

Trial and error.

The plugs kept a black ceramic even after sustained high speed riding, not full throttle as is usual for a lean-mixture plug check, just average riding. They became fuel fouled in about 6-10 tanks of fuel.

You know these "Constant-Velocity" carbs do Not have mixture screws.

On my STX-1100 we first tried both high and low speed jet changes to the high altitude jets.

Bad bog.

Return to stock low speed jets and cooler plugs.
      some better.

The pipe remains gooey with unburned fuel.

Next a ZXI-900 oil pump.
      The fuel in the bowl was thick with oil while using the 1100 oil pump.
      The pump output is measured at 3000 rpm, the 900 puts out some 25-30% less oil.
      (I can get the exact cc output of both, I have it in my literature somewhere)

The fuel consumption has been documented through the hour meter and the odometer, I know boat speedos are not super accurate however I use the boat almost daily, have approaching 400 hours on it and keep exact tabs on fuel burned vs hrs & miles traveled.

The speeds were verified via a recently calibrated Kustom Signals K-Band(25.525ghz)handheld radar gun, they are within 1.6 mph of indicated speeds.

The speedometer "wheel" on the boat has not been tampered with since new. So changes in readings can be sorta taken as fairly accurate given the inclusion of the Hour meter data.

The exhaust pipe now has NO oil residue, a simple washing with soap and water returns the Inside of the pipe and the surrounding area clean. Granted the paint has some indication of slight tarnish.

FYI, my other ski, a 95 STS-750 3-seater was leaned with the mixture screws to the point of clean burning also.

I have talked with numerous other Jet-Ski owners and mechanics, the STX-1100 DI is gaining a horde of haters. All mechanically inclined users note the black plug readings. Several have been "disposed" of, a couple were taken back at the dealer to be sold as used. The owners taking another ski.

The 3-cyl Kaws all seem to smoke the plugs terribly. The DI units run the worst. I get to operate lots of different watercraft. Sea-Doo's seem to be tuned just to the perfect point to where the ceramic gets a sand color. None of the 2-cylinder Kaw's I've had contact with did this until changes in mixture settings, Or when more radical changes were made.

I understand and appreciate your question regarding the validity of my claim.
      My dealer and his top mechanic are holding their breath hoping Kawasaki will come out with a "fix" for this issue.

My personal craft is a pleasure since it does not burble and runs with a constand growl. I also removed the exhaust flap so that I could better hear the engines note.

most sincerely
      DrVette

Comment

Regarding the 1100-DI, I forgot to mention one observation.

While cruising and it's doing the sputtering thing, you can see the tachometer swinging up and down. (these have the digital tach)

Plug readings are black, always.

Comment

WOW! I'm not an expert, but I have to agree with Bryan. In my experience with 3 cylinder engines, be it Yamaha, Polaris, etc. they all have some degree of an uneven exhaust sound. Call it misfire, stumble, or whatever. Of course, you will hear the uneven sound more when your on and off the throttle vs. idle and WOT. I believe it is due to the opposed firing order on a three cylinder. Two pistons are on the same stroke, and one on another. To me, its more pronounced on the Kawasaki because of its louder exhaust. I have
          an '01 STX DI, which runs fine @ 25 hours. My dealer has claimed they have had very few DI's returned for problems and customers are very happy with them. Also, I do have plugs which are covered with a dry black soot, but everyone I've spoken to says the Ficht DI's are set up on the rich side, Polaris included. I take it that is why they use the $15 plugs. Sea-Doo uses Obital injection, which may be why their plugs burn cleaner. Just a guess.
          2001 Kawasaki STX1100 DI (w/GroupK Stage 1)<br />1997 Sea-Doo GSX<br />2004 Kawasaki SX-R

Comment

Thanks for the calm response Bryan and Glen

I agree that all these machines run funky when you move the throttle, the symptoms I refer to are steady throttle, warm engine, constant speed.

And Black plugs on a 2-cycle engine are not a sign of a healty air/fuel ratio.

Kawasaki has delivered some lemons, let's not make lemonaide, make them repair these machines and quit dumping unburned Hydrocarbons into the air/water.

If we pull an ostrich manuever and ignore this, the tree huggers will have yet another machine to point fingers to.

Thanks for your attention and patience.

BTW, my e-mail is visible for anyone to query me further concerning my allegations.

DrVette

Comment

Why not just get rid of your oil pump?
              I did on my 98 and it run's like a champ with very, very little smoke at all speeds and idle. Only other MOD was a head and air intake with a step up in the high-end jets. Its got over 200hrs and still screams pretty "it's gonna hurt bad if you fall off" fast.

I also did a 97 STX oil pump removal then stepped back ALL the low end screws to 1/2 out and it runs great, min-smoke if any. After 170+ hrs still running top notch.

If you really get down to it, ALL 2-strokes are violators of emission laws. Isn't that why we are heading into the 4-stroke generation??

Comment

Skimmer, the use of a 900zxi oil pump, hotter plugs, a high altitude main jet and 155# compression got the stumble out of mine.

I'm too lazy to mix oil, you see my "98 model has almost 350 hours on it [img]smile.gif[/img] I ride a LOT !

The STX-1100 in 98 has "CV" carbs, no screws to turn, I wish it had the 97 ZXI 900 carbs with screws AND accellerator pumps..

I was incorrect in the assertation about the DI and the plug color, it seems as if the Fitch Fuel Injection unit soaks the plugs during normal operation, IMHO a poor design, but who am I to second guess them, they just made a crappy running boat is all.

I also agree all 2-cycle engines are dirty, however if the fuel is burned as in my case instead of dumped out the pipe which is self evident if you check the pipe on the STX 1100 DI models.

The pipe on mine is still clean after a 50 mile ride, though I do clean the inside every couple of rides with whitewall tire cleaner ..

BTW, my plugs are on the 3rd year but I plan to change them this season for good measure.

I'm running NGK BR-8ES

In case ya didn't notice, the fuel economy is almost doubled since my mods, from 4.5 @ cruise to 7.0

The speedo is very close as documented by radar.

[ May 17, 2002, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: DrVette ]

Comment

DrVette, I believed you've fixed a "problem" that was never really a problem. I'd be more concerned why my super tuned triple cylinder 1100 was only radaring at 54mph. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: 3-Cyl Kawasaki Watercraft Engines Need to be Recalled for Emissions Violations !

who has the time to remove the pipe and clean it out on the inside after every weekend of riding?
                    365 days a year sunny in SW Fla.
                    275 hours on my STX-12F

Comment

Re: 3-Cyl Kawasaki Watercraft Engines Need to be Recalled for Emissions Violations !

Um...this thread is 3 years old.
                      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X