water filled hull and oil filled flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water filled hull and oil filled flywheel

I recently purchased a 1985 JS550 and I see that there was oil in the little flywheel compartment in the front. It has a fill spot, so I am assuming someone thought there was oil needed there. Is there supposed to be oil there?? I talked to someone who was claiming to be good in jet ski engines and they said it was fine so it was taken out on the water and run for about 20 minutes.

It would only get up to half throttle and then when it was brought back in there was water in the engine compartment and was almost full. I turned it on its opposite side of the battery and drained it and have left it sit for now. I am wanting to do reasearch on what to do. What do you recommend that i do??? I am new to Jet ski engines with the watercooling and all, but have worked on snowmobile engines a lot in the past... I also just replaced impellor on this one, so i had pump and casing all out of ski.
    Thanks for any help.

[ May 11, 2002, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: icysyrup ]

[img]/graemlins/cwm27.gif[/img] OK, first, that is not an oil fill, it's just an inspection hole for setting the timing - to shine a timing light ont he flywheel. A lot of people make that mistake. I guess Kawasaki should have labeled the hole [img]smile.gif[/img]

You need to thoughly clean out of the oil that is not coating your pickup coil and stator assembly.

You either have a leak in your hull, or a breach in a cooling line. Fill the hull with water on land and see if it comes out of the hull. If not drain it and run it on the hose and look for leaks.

Comment

Hi;
      As Bryan mentioned the inspection or sight plug in the flywheel cover is used for checking ignition timing, venting moisture, etc.

If you have any liquid in the flywheel cavity, your ignition system and charging system performance will be degraded... if the Ski even runs at all.

In addition to Bryan's comments concerning your Ski taking on water, since you've just had the pump out, start with inspecting the bilge siphon plumbing. Look for a hose connecting between the pump reduction nozzle and a section of tubing that passes through the bulkhead on the "throttle" side of the boat. The bilge siphon system inlet is in the engine compartment at the bulkhead.

Other possible reasons for the Ski taking on water are: a leak in a cooling or exhaust hose, the driveshaft seals need to be replaced, the bulkhead could be cracked, or there is an insufficient "vacuum break" in the bilge line, which is allowing the bilge hose to siphon water into the engine compartment when the pump isn't producing thrust...such as when the Ski is at anchor or on a stand.

Dan

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I REALLY appreciate it. I have looked for books on the matter but were not able to find any. Are there any books that are break away examples like there is for vehicles....such as chiltons. Again I thank you and appreciate your time.

Comment

Hi;
          No problem, we're happy to help...everyone was a newbie at one time or another.

You can purchase "Clymer" manuals from SBT, which are pretty good basic watercraft repair manuals. You can find 'em here .

Dan

Comment

Re: water filled hull and oil filled flywheel

Hello.

Comment

Working...
            X