1993 Kawa Start Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Kawa Start Problems...

I have a 1993 Kawasaki SuperSport XI that has been running great all summer. Last Saturday I had it out on the lake and I was coming back in to load it up. I hit a pretty big wave and when I came down she idle'd horribly rough and died. Upon trying to start it, all I got was a 'click' from underneath the seat.

Last night I got a chance to start tearing it apart. The spark plugs were replaced as was the battery. Just to eliminate them from the mix. When I try to start it, I see the starter turn the drive shaft about 1/8 of an inch and it clicks. Then there is nothing else. It won't turn it again unless I release the switch and re-hit it.

I've had suggestions that the starter bendix might be acting up, but if it was, I wonder if it would even turn over that 1/8 of an inch. I've also had someone tell me my motor could be locked up, which as you can imagine is nauseating.

The ski is nearly 10 years old so I guess if the engine is locked up, it's had a good life (even though I've only owned it for a month). I'm going to try to turn the drive shaft by hand (with the plugs out) next time I get a chance to look at it. This should tell me if the engine is locked up. If it turns fairly easily, should I go ahead and stick a screw driver into the cylinder to make sure the pistons are moving (someone suggested that, though I've never done it).

I haven't done a ton of mechanic work but I figure this is a good of time as any to start since I've gone this far.

Basically my questions are, if the starter is bad or not getting a good connection from the battery would it just turn the shaft 1/8" and stop? Or would it slowly keep trying to turn it over just very slowly? Or is there anyway to tell? Does anyone have any experience pulling a starter off a 93 SS Xi, that give me some words of advice before I dive into it?

Thanks in advance for all help, advice, instruction, and well wishes.

Your starter isn't going to be your problem, but you might have a bad ground or positive cable. Assuming your engine is not locked up, of course. If you do find it stuck, make sure it's nothing in the pump - take the pump off to isolate the engine.

Comment

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but at least your straight with me. Assuming the engine is locked up, which is what it looks like considering the way that it died. If the starter went bad it wouldn't have died like that off that wave. Would it have died if a ground cable went bad? I wish I could remember if it was 'knocking' when it died after that wave. It happened pretty fast and I just remember knowing that something was wrong when I hit the water.

Comment

Th starter has nothing to do with this. It's not engaged while running and never causes an engine to die.

Yes the ski will die if the cables go bad or fall off.

See if you can get it to turn over without the plugs in. If you can, try to take a compression reading. Then pull the head and take a look inside.

Comment

Sorry to keep bugging you. Any chance you can give me some details on how to check the pump? Do I need to come in from the bottom by the intake grate? Or from the back? Like I said, I'm kind of new to this mechanic stuff.

Comment

See this thread to inspect a pump, but you need to remove it to determine if it's locked up or the engine is.

Comment

Yippety skippety, lets spend some money!

I couldn't turn the shaft with the plugs out. I tried and I tried. I didn't bother undo'ing the engine mounts to move the engine forward to eliminate the pump. I'm going to take it in and get an estimate.

I paid $4500 for this 93 Kawa SS XI and a 97 Sea-Doo XP on a double-trailer a month ago. Both are extremely clean and haven't had any problems until now. I've had them out about 5-6 times and have around 25-30 hours on them. I feel like there's no way the guy could have known that the 93 was about to crater. But I'm really not that disappointed because I feel like I got a good deal even if I have to spend $500 to fix the Kawa. Although I do realize I might be looking at as much as $1000 to get it fixed. I've had people tell me my 97 is probably worth 4000 - 4500 alone. It's only got about 100 hours on it now.

Well I just posted all that to make myself feel good. Either tell me I got screwed or tell me '**** happens' and just to deal with it. It happened and there is nothing I can do but live and learn; and so I will.

Comment

You got a good deal no matter what...well...unless the XP grnades, or....j/k! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

Lets not even talk about if the XP was to go down... [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img]

Comment

Well looks like I'll be ordering an engine. Take a look at the case of the engine.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Comment

That case is totalled.

Comment

So what does that mean? I'll have to add the casing cost to it?

Which is $345?

Also, what does an engine replacement from SBT include? Does it include the oil pump on the 750 which is built on to the side of the engine? If not, do you have those available? I want to replace it while I have it torn apart, even though I don't think that it's bad.

[ July 13, 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: FLdash ]

Comment

That's correct, either pay the additional cost or find a good used case to replace yours. Try these guys first.

No, shortblocks do not include external parts such as oil pumps, and no we don't carry them.

Comment

You say shortblock... does that include the cylinder and head? I looked at mine and they look fine but if I'm going this far I might as well replace them too...

Comment

Click on the SBT Program button on the left menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X