kawi 550 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kawi 550 problems

I have a 1990 550 JS. I put a new front crank seal in it and all new gaskets and put it back together. I was having trouble getting it started and if it did start it would die right away. I did a compression check and it was only 35 psi and 45 psi for the front and rear cylinder. I pulled the head off and inspected the gasket and there were no signs of leaks there. I was wondering if there were any other places besides the pistion rings where I could be losing compression. Also on these piston port models, does the fuel/air mixture travel through the crankcase and then up into the cylinder? And if it does, what seals off the front of the crankcase from the rear of it. Other than the compression, everything else seems to be fine. I have good spark and its getting fuel. So I was wondering how to go about fixing this at a reasonable price.

The bearings seal the cylinders from one another.

Besides the rings, the only exit for compression is the head. Your engine is completely shot if those numbers are accurate.

Comment

Ok...How do you replace the center bearings on the crankshaft? Also, so what if I replace the head gasket again, replace the piston rings, and hone the minor scoring out of the cyclinder walls? [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

You don't - you get a rebuilt crank, a new one or have yours rebuilt.

Do that plus what you mentioned and you just rebuilt the whole engine.

Comment

Whats a reasonable price to pay for a rebuilt crank or to have mine rebuilt. Is there a way to check to see if mine is still good. Thanks for all your help. [img]graemlins/cwm3.gif[/img]

Comment

Shaun, not to be the bearer or bad news, but with all the problems you have mentioned, you may sink a couple hundred bucks easily into that ski (not including the crank), and still have a ski that will underperform and may possibly die a quick death.

For $500.00, you can have a freshly rebuilt motor from SBT that will last many many years.

your call..

Comment

Working...
            X