Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 1100 STX no start

Hi,

My friend's 97 1100 STX flooded a couple of days ago, and now it won't start. It was running beautifully before that, and started on the first push of the start button. He half flooded it, didn't get any water in the engine, and it stalled. When he tried to start it, he got nothing, just a loud metallic clunk. Took it home, charged the battery up nicely, and tried again. Still clunks.
    If we rapidly push the start button it will briefly turn over (for half a second, then it stops). If we keep trying to start it the positive lead gets hot at the starter and at the battery, and sometimes a little smoke wafts up from the starter.
    Sound like a bad starter? From what I read it could also be a bad solenoid... where is this located? If I have to replace the starter, do I have to remove the exhaust pipes to get to it?

Thanks!
    Ben

sounds like water did get in the engine and he hydrolocked it.. probably a bent crank rod..

Hopefully its a starter bendix, but it surely doesnt sound like it with that clunk you are experiencing.

Joe

Comment

Would it still turn over with a bent crank? We are able to get it to turn over (a bit at a time). Should the engine be able to be rotated by hand, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Comment

Re: 97 1100 STX no start

no most likely it would not spin over if crank is bent check your battery for a good charge use i good know one take your spark plugs out and trun it over just to make sure no water got in the engine i personally doubt you have a bent crank check to see if your starter is good and then check the solenoid it should tell you how to in the clymes manual or the shop manual

Comment

Working...
        X