650SX exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650SX exhaust question

I have a 1988 kawasaki 650SX with an engine out of a 1991 X2. the engine is the same thing except for the carb, it has a 38mm CDKII, but that’s not related to my question at all. My question is this: the pump has 3 fittings on it, one for bilge, and two for pushing water to the engine. I know that a stock pump only has 2 fittings, one bilge and one to go to the cooling, but this one is “blueprinted”(or so I was told) so it has 2 cooling fitting. Now, on the hull there are three water lines that run from the engine compartment to the pump, one if for the bilge and the other two are for cooling I think. One goes from the pump to the bottom of the exhaust manifold, I know that one is supposed to be there, but it’s the other one that im curious about. The exhaust is a stock exhaust (or so I was told) it has a water fitting on the bottom of first silver pipe (the one that connects with rubber couplers on both sides and its not the cone it’s the one closer to the manifold) I would assume that this fitting should run to that second fitting on the pump, but im not sure if that would be too much water. How is it supposed to run stock? Does the hose just attach the pipe to the pipe that runs through the hull then out the back with no hook up to the pump? Or is it supposed to be hooked to that fitting on the pump. Im a little nervous that the exhaust will get too much water if I do that. Also, is there a way I can tune it to get the most power out of it?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

http://www.justbuytickets.com
    Last edited by randrew20; 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM.

I'm not sure I follow your question, then again it's late and i'm tired : ( )
    I have a similar ski with dual cooling, and the bilge line. Simply put, my setup is as follows: Forget the bilge line for now, the dual cooling lines from the pump go into the exhaust manifold, water then goes thru chambers in exhaust into head. From the head I have 2 exit hoses at front and rear. Front line exits straight to hull and rear line exits to a Tee fiiting thats connects to exhaust cone and exterior fitting. Hope that helps, If you want I can post a pic or diagram.
    Time to sleep....L8Z
    Wherever you go, There you are-B. Banzai

Comment

Hi;
      If your engine is stock, don't bother with the dual cooling lines. Plug one of the pump orifices with an appropriate pipe thread plug. You should be able to find the correct size plug (typically 1/8" NPT) at a local hardware or auto parts store.

The 650SX has three lines through the bulkhead, one that feeds the suction bilge, one for cooling water, and one is a to allow water to drain from the exhaust. The drain fitting was often used for dual cooling modifications after the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system.

The pump pressure line should be plumbed to the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

By the way, cooling water flow is as follows:

Water from the pump enters the exhaust manifold, (which serves to preheat incoming water for safe cold water operation), then flows into the cylinder casting, through the head, and then into the exhaust headpipe through a short length of hose. (The gasket between the exhaust manifold and headpipe is "solid" and does not provide a water flow path, so water does not flow directly from the exhaust manifold to the headpipe) From the headpipe water jacket, cooling water flows both into the exhaust path (via an internal "pee hole" in the headpipe to tune the exhaust pipe and provide flow to the waterbox muffler), out of the above-mentioned drain, and out of a thru-hull bypass fitting that serves as an indicator of cooling water flow.

Dan

Comment

Working...
      X