440/550 with rear exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 440/550 with rear exhaust?

Anyone ever heard of a rear exhaust mod for the old side-pipe skis? I heard about it but was looking to see if I could find someone with a little info on how to pull it off on an old 440. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ive done it and its a pain in the you know what. First you need to drill a hole in the rear of the ski under the bond line where you want the exhaust outlet. behind that youll find a bunch of foam. best ting to do is go to a muffler shop and ask them for some pipe or find some thin wall pipe in a 1 3/4 range. I think mine was 1 3/4 than you need to pound the pipe in the foam so it make s a hole as it digs in. youll need to take the pipe out to remove the stuff inside the pipe to get another good bite. think of it as drilling through cheeze. youll need a long drill bit to drill through the firewall on the inside. thats where youll drill the other hole to have the piep fit so it comes out in the engine compartment. you can also use a hole saw bit with extensions instead of the pipe jsut be careful as you come in the engine compartment so you dotn drill too low or too high.
    youll need a pipe that fits tightly in the hole on the outside of the hull, or one that has a flange to keep water out
    Rob

its not a easy jon or for the squeamish
    Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob,

It sounds like more than a one afternoon project there... I'm willing to give it a shot though. One major question though? What to use for a "trap" or one way outlet... I'm not familiar with the new hulls and have no idea what type of exit device is at the rear??? Any suggestions there? Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Comment

not even HARd!! dude, your doing it the hard way. i just did this on my 550 a year ago. go to 247innovations.com they have an installation guiDe for a rear drain valve you can easily use this same method for an rear exaust outlet. and belive me, if you do alot of tricks it worth it cauz u wont have that **** smoke blowing in your face. about a 3 hour project. and thats with beer and ciggarette and piss breaks. LOL!

Comment

Working...
        X