basic pump blueprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic pump blueprinting

I'm new to the boards here and appreciate your support.

Bryan did a post on pump mods that was forwarded to me last night. I started to remove the casting marks and area's near the veins.

How important is it to keep a good radius? I noticed a flat spot where I was grinding and spent another half an hour rounding it out.

I'm not as good as Bryan, but have the time to make it right.

Thanks,
    x2rickshaw

Just transition it as smoothly as possible - you won't feel anything from a slightl flat spot unless you leave an indent or lip.

Comment

Hi;
      I advise only remove the casting "flash". There is very little to be gained by attemping to reshape anything in the stator casting, and there's a very real danger of actually reducing pump performance.

A PWC pump works by accelerating water flow not compressing it, and any change in stator vane radius or angle can result in a loss in pump efficiency, despite the fact that the casting may "look" better after working it over with a die grinder. Most amatuer level "blueprinting" causes more harm than good to jet pump performance.

You'll see a much greater improvement in pump performance by tuning your reduction nozzle diameter and the impeller pitch for your engine set-up, and properly setting the impeller clearance to the stator, which is typically done by machining the back surface of the impeller. OEM Kawasaki pumps usually have way too much clearance between the back of the impeller and the stator vanes.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My goal is to remove excess castings for a smooth surface.

Am I right in viewing the outer diameter casting removal in Bryan's picture as well?

One more question on the stainless steel prop given to me; the only markings on it are a 5 on the front cone. How do I know the pitch?

Thanks,
        x2rickshaw

[ September 19, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: x2rickshaw ]

Comment

Hi;
          It would be extremely difficult for you to accurately determine the specs of an unknown impeller without a very specific measuring fixture.

I suggest contacting David at Impros Impellers.
          He will probably be able to identify the brand and pitch for you if you can provide an image of the impeller. If the impeller casting is appropriate for your X-2, my advice it to consider sending the it to him for a custom tweak.

Dan

[ September 19, 2002, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Dan DePardo ]

Comment

thanks Dan & Bryan. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

x2rickshaw

Comment

Man, whoever said patience is a virtue musta done some basic pump blueprinting!!

Bryan, what dremel sanders did you use?

Did you use 100 sand paper for a final?

thanks,
              x2rickshaw

Comment

I believe I ended up around 400 for the last.

Comment

Working...
                X