Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650 idle problem

OK heres the situation
    I am working on a 1990 TS650 - the ski is totally stock other than a primer kit. It will start and run on the prime then dies unless you hit the gas and get it above idle (30-40%)
    at which time it runs OK or hit the primer about every 8 seconds. Also it doesnt matter how many turns out I turn the idle needle. I pulled the carb and found nothing out of the ordinary. I also removed the fuel pump - again everything looked normal. The problem persists whether it is run on reserve or normal - the fuel bowl was removed and cleaned. Also we put another known good carb on the engine with no help. Also primary and secondary compression are good. The only thing I havent checked it the reeds which I will have to partially remove the engine to get to the bottom intake nuts. Anyone out there have any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
    If Harley Davidson built an airplane - would you fly on it?

Do you have your primer kit spliced into your main fuel line or is it spliced into the return line from your carb back to the tank? Sometimes these primer kits foul and if it's coming from the main fuel line, it cuts fuel off before it gets to the carb. Just an idea. Check that first.

Comment

My first guess would be it's time for a new fuel pump or a rebuild kit for it.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

You may also want to pressure test the engine! Chances are that you have an air leak (probably a blown crank seal).

Chester

Comment

Hello again - heres the update. I pulled the engine out and checked the reeds and the looked new so I replaced all the seals in the engine and reinstalled with no help. We have a 90 model parts ski that has been sitting a while and i swapped the carb and fuel pump with no help. Also I ran a fuel line from the ski sitting next to it on the trailer to eliminate the possibility of a fuel tank problem and alas no help. I ordered a rebuild kit for the carb just in case the diaphram has a small hole that I didn't see. Other than that my only option is start swapping parts from the good running ski sitting next to it. I really don't want to do that since it is running perfect but oh well. Thanks to all those who have posted anf I will keep you guys updated. Any other ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I would pressure check the engine - you may have a leak and are not getting good pulse signal.

Comment

I held my thumb over the pulse fitting before and after I rebuilt the engine and both times I felt a strong pulse from the fitting. Also I pmped the bulb primer with the engine idleing just to make sure the engine had a good supply of fuel and it made no difference.

Comment

In your first post you said it did make a difference when you hit the primer?

Comment

I'm sorry - two different primers - the primer that made the difference is the one modded to the carb which injects raw fuel into the throat of the carb. The one that did not make the difference is the one oem that is inline of the fuel system like a primer bulb on an outboard. This one is located between the fuel tap and fuel bowl to assist in priming the system in the case you run out of fuel. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Another update - I recieved my carb kits from sbt yesterday and upon installing I found the inner chamber seal on the carb had a passage open where the new one didn't. Also pop-off was about 35psi! I reset to pop at 17-18psi as suggested in another post. Going to install carb today and see what happens. [img]/graemlins/winkanim.gif[/img]

Comment

OK finally got it - the pop-off and carb rebuild fixed it. I took it to the river yesterday and ran on the trailer. Will probably go to the lake today for actual run testing and final tune.

Another ?? is this pop off setting good for all TS650s with the CDK or is is year model specific? (also got a 92 model that needs the carb done) Also what would pop-off be on a 93 ss/xi 750 dual carb?

Again THANK YOU to every one for posting and to SBT for quick svc with the carb kits - I recieved the in only two days after ordering them. That beats the snot out of anywhere else I order parts.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That PO will work for all those, yes.

Comment

Working...
                        X