How to adjust oil injection ZXi 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to adjust oil injection ZXi 1100

I just bought a 96 ZXi 1100, and the plugs remain oily wet after WOT operation. I've got a service manual on order, but I'd appreciate procedures to reduce the injection rate.

All you can do is make sure the oil pump cable is attatched and adjusted correctly. You cannot adjust eh mix ratio.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

How do I know If it is adjusted correctly

Comment

If the cable is not adjusted correctly, can it cause the amount of oil being injected to be either too little or too much, thereby effectively changing the mixture ratio?

Comment

NO..all the adjustments do is lets the oil squirt at the same time as the gas....if the adjustments are off it will either open to early or to late, depending on where the adjusments are at.

The ratio is set to factory specs, you cannot change it.

Sounds like the carbs need to be tuned

[ July 12, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: stevepaulus ]

Comment

See the article in the tech section on pump adjustment.
            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I have a 96 ZXi. The oil pump is a fixed rate pump, no cables to adjust, no nothing. You cannot adjust a kawasaki ZXi pump....

You can try changing the oil that you use. Use a high quality TCW3 oil.

You might be getting black plugs from your carbs being on the rich side... too much fuel. If it runs good and doesnt foul out... your engine is actually on the safe side.

Better yet... go premix
              "Lifes Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body... but rather SKID IN SIDEWAYS totally worn out shouting... HOLY SH*T WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

According to the parts diagram on the Kawasaki site, "Paul Zxi n XP" is correct, there are no cables attached to the oil pump, just hoses.

Comment

Paul Zxi n XP,

Mine is stock. It runs 61MPH indicated (rpm???). It seems to accelerate strongly.

On the day I bought it, Lake Travis (Austin Texas) was 1' choppy, and I felt that the porpoising wasn't too bad, but I have learned that unless it is almost glass, there isn't enough weight on the front end. I havn't been able to trim it out. Is this normal? It's got to be worse with a passenger. Any suggestions>

Bill

Comment

no clue on a Kawi, but most of them will porpoise in chop.......put the trim all the way up and sit back and don't gas it until past the chop or wave

Comment

My point was that I could expect it in the chop, but not in the wake of a turtle.

Comment

sorry doowriter......

I have no idea on a kawi, but my doo porpoises in 1" chop as well.

Maybe someone with a kawi can shed some light on your porpoising problem

Comment

Yes ... it does porpoise quite badly. What i did is install an extended nozzle, sponsons, and a rideplate.

If you remain stock, try full trim down and sitting to the front... when you go past 30mph the porpoising is lessened...

try it
                          "Lifes Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body... but rather SKID IN SIDEWAYS totally worn out shouting... HOLY SH*T WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

Paul Zxi n XP,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have more info about the nozzle and rideplate, such as manufacturers and where to buy?

On another subject, the steering is turned a little to the left when going straight ahead. I had noticed the same condition on a friends '98 last year. A quick inspection didn't reveal any adjustment. Do you know anything about this?

Bill

Comment

Paul Zxi n XP,

I took the ZXi out this morning, and in 6" waves, it bounced like a ping-pong ball. The GTX would have skipped across them like flat stone.

Standing up and leaning over the bars was barely able to reduve the porposing. As a test, I was considering putting 3 or 4 gallons of water (20 - 27 pound) in plastic jugs in the front storage area.

After returning home, I found this info on the web at:
                              http://www.inlandjet.com/page12rideplates.html

KAWASAKI 1100 ZXi rideplate
                              Increases acceleration by planning faster, improved handling and high-speed stability
                              with no speed loss!! Eliminates porposong (guaranteed). Made of billet aircraft aluminum.
                              Light weight only weighs 1lbs.! Race proven. Made in USA.

ZXI 1100/900 all $106 + $13.50 S&H = $119.50 total

Unless you know of a better product/price, I like the (guaranteed), and am ready to order one.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X