SBT motor went bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBT motor went bad

I have an SBT motor with about 25 - 30 hours on it. When I was out on the lake last it started running really bad, vibrating and loss of power. I barely made it back to the dock. When I got home I looked in the hull and there is a ton of metal shavings all over in the hull. The first thing I did was check compression and was surprised to find out it was good. Then I found an empty bearing race (about 1 1/2") and loose bearings laying near the water box. Then I noticed the casing broken all along the back and the flywheel is showing. The only thing I can think of is that something went internally in the bottom of the motor and came through the casing. What could have possibly happened? It was not even being run hard. I assume the core is ruined now. Will this be replaced at no cost to me?

please call warranty so we can help you with the claim. It is possible that if the engine was out of alighnment that it can cause that rear beaing to go prematurely. If you have further technical concerns please call and ask for Aaron.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Actually it was a counterbalancer bearing that came through the case. SBT replaced it without a problem. Is this something that is common or is it a freak thing?

Comment

A very freak thing, but not unheard of.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I couldn't imagine that being something common.

Comment

Re: SBT motor went bad

have had 5 motors loose mag bearings all sbt motors they warrantied them

Comment

Re: SBT motor went bad

I'm not aware of anyone with a 5 engine record. Please email me the name this was under bryan@sbtontheweb.com so I can look into it.

Comment

Working...
              X