This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st trip to SBT - not good

The engine on my 1999 XL1200 Ltd is blown. 135 hrs and apparently the rod bearing on the front cylinder disintegrated, and the rod made a few 1" cracks in the upper case, near the mating surfaces. So I pulled the motor and took it to SBT to buy a replacement. Some lady in a t-shirt with a walkie talkie, and some guy on a golf cart, both came out to my truck to look at the motor. The guy took a quick look at the motor and said it was shot, then the lady told me I needed to remove this stud, remove that pin, remove the flywheel, put the PV covers on, which all seemed VERY petty, and told me I would have to pay an additional ($515) on top of the list price of the remanufactured engine.

They both seemed anxious to get back to what they were doing, made me feel like I was interrupting something. I didn't see any other customers around. Maybe it was break time or something. I got the feeling all they wanted to do was see my wallet. So I left. With my blown motor.

Re: My 1st trip to SBT - not good

We are sorry your motor blew, but we have certain requirements for an exchange that need to be met. First of which is you need a rebuildable core. Since your core is damaged beyond repair, yes you need to pay additional money to get an engine should you choose to do so. Your other alternative, which is actually more conveneint for us, is to go to your local dealer and buy a new case to complete your core.

As for the extra parts you left on, it is your responsability to remove them from your core. If you had called prior to coming to arrange the sale you would have been talked through what to remove. That information is also always available in detail on our website and in the Engine Install/Removal Guides.

Should you at anytime wish to replace your motor with an SBT engine we would be happy to serve you in the future. If you have any questions please call and ask ahead of time.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I just noticed that you were already clearly advised of the extra charges you are now supposedly complaining about, several days ago: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28832

Good luck.

Comment

For everyone else's clarification, this gentleman came to the office yelling through the office 'Does anyone actually work around here?' The Sales Manager helped him, as he specifically said 'I am not ready to buy an engine, I just want to get this thing checked out.' She then called a core check-in tech, who advised him of the totaled case and they showed him what parts would need to be removed when he was ready to buy. The Sales Manager then gave him the price of $515 additional for the case (which he already knew from discussing it with me, but didn't want to hear or believe it), to which he stated 'How much??! That *f-in* rediculous! and stormed out.

Comment

Working...
        X