Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump

I have a 1995 polaris sl750. It has a sbt motor that is about 9 months new. The only reason it has a new motor in it is because I sank it at the beach. I have never had a problem with the front cylinder running lean. But with all the talk about adding a second fuel pump I have been a lil curious about it. The fuel pump that is on it is 6 years old. Should I replace that one with an aftermarket high flow one? If so, what type and model? Or should I add the second fuel pump? And replace the other one also? Any comments or info will be helpful. [img]graemlins/spit.gif[/img]

You can replae the stock one with a high-flow Mikuni - I don't know of the best source though. Otherwise, to be safe, I would install the second pump and rebuild your stock one.

Comment

I ordered a high flow Mikuni from DCT Sports. I'm still waiting on it so I don't know how hard it will be to put in.

Comment

Tom,
        There ia not too many things easier to do to a watercraft than to install an external fuel pump.

It is even easier if you bought one with an outlet for each carb.

It is probably best to only run one pump from your single pulseline, although I have seen guys who ran two pumps from one pulseline. I personally perfer to add a second pulse fitting to the cases when I run multiple fuel pumps.

If your pump has been good enough for 6 years, why add another ? Did you do something to your motor that it needs alot more fuel delivery ?

I would think that one high flow fuel pump should have your bases covered, and deliver enough fuel to your motor.

To increase the fuel pressure a bit, you could always add a restrictor into the return line to the tank.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill, early Polaris Fuji engines had a mag piston seizure problem related to not enough fuel. Although I never had a problem with mine for the 5 years that I owned the SL750 some people do seize the front piston. In 95 Polaris went with a better fuel pump (octagone Mikuni) with 3 outlets for each carb on the SLX780 but the other 95 models and earlier used the round fuel pump with 2 outlets. The mag was the furthest in the chain and could starve for fuel and run lean. I totally agree that running 2 pumps should have an independent pulse for each one. If someone doesn't want to add a second pulse fitting then the Mikuni triple outlet high volume fuel pump is the way to go.

Comment

I recently put another fuel pump on my sl 750. i put a T in the pulse line just like the SBT directions said and it seems to be working fine. will both fuel pumps work or do i need to put in another pulse fitting. if so, how do i go about putting another one in???

thanks

Comment

The Tee works fine in that application.

Comment

hey guys, thanks for all the info. i am liking the idea of the mikuni triple outlet high flow pump. that will kill two birds at once. one more question though. will i have to adjust my carbs once i install this? my ski is stock except for prok f/a's and jetlyne waterbox. by the way, my ski sounds sweEEEEeeeet with that waterbox on it.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

SWEEEEEEEET......sounds like i have a new project. [img]graemlins/spit.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/buck.gif[/img] i love this board man!

Comment

And if you want the fuel pump to look stock and neat, you can get the bracket for an SLX780 from your dealer and mount it to the hull rib like the SLX780.

Comment

I hate to give negative feedback, but when I got my pump today one of the line connectors had broken off. It had three brass line connectors and one aluminum looking connector. the aluminum one is the one connector that was broken off. On the bright side of things, they were really apologetic and said to return it to them and they would send me a new one. Just one thought, the pump came with no directions. What lines do I connect to which connector. I was told there are two inlets, one outlet and one pressure line that runs to it. Which one is which. Also, would it be okay to plug one of the inlets? What would be the best way to do it? Thanks.

Comment

What pump are you talking about? Where did you get it?

Comment

there should be 2 on one side and 2 on the other side. the alluminum one is most likely the pulse. the other brass one by the alluminum nipple is the fuel in let and the other 2 should be fuel outlets
                            Rob

Comment

Bryan, If you read above, he got it from DCT.

Tom, I e-mailed you an exploded view of a 3 outlet SLX780 fuel pump and where the fittings go. Hope it helps and that your Mikuni pump looks like what I e-mailed.

Comment

Working...
                              X