Sponsons backing plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsons backing plate

Recently I had heard where some people are making backing plates for their Beach House sponsons on X-4 hulls for the inside mounting area ,so the washers wont pull through the hull possibly causing the boat to sink.Does this sound necessary?

Using a hot knife, I cut out the floatation foam where the sponsons go. Set it aside to be re-installed after the sponsons are mounted.

Using a piece of aluminum bar stock 1/4 inch thick by 1 inch wide, I drilled and tapped holes that correspond with the sponson holes. I then set it into place inside the hull with silicone, put temporary bolts through from the outside of the hull and screwed them down tight. After the silicone set up, I removed the screws, and mounted the sponsons, using silicone on the backside of the mounting plates to help keep the sponsons"glued" to the hull.
    This works great and you eliminate the need for nuts and washers inside of the hull. Makes installation much easier.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill, I have recently bought a set of BH sponsons for my 01XP. I boutght them brand new but they are the old model which cant be adjusted from outside the ski. They didnt come with any backing plates either. Would a solid piece of plastic not be better? Will the piece of metal form to the hull properly, putting equal stress on all the botls. Wheres the best place to buy these?

-KMT15
      2005 RXP
      2003 SC GTX
      2004 XP-DI
      - PPG Full Level One (MPEM, Head, F/A)
      - PPG repitched 15/20 Solas Prop
      - PPG trued Rideplate w/speedo block
      - Worx Sponsons
      - Worx Intake Grate
      - Jet Trim Seat Cover
      - R&D Pump Wedge
      - Hydro-Turf Mats
      - New Sea-Doo Grips
      - Custom Decals
      - Red Peril Powdercoated Head

Comment

The best place to buy plastic backing plates is from Beach House Express, pre-drilled and ready to mount.

I like aluminum because I can thread it and I do not need to reach inside to change sponsons. If your hull curves, just cut several slices in the aluminum so it will form to the hull.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

Bill do you know where I can buy that bar srock,I have had a hard time finding it.How much would you charge to make a set for me?

Thanks,
          Mark

Comment

You can purchase bar stock from a metal dealer, scrap yard or place that sells metal remmants.
            Also, I believe small size aluminum bar stock is sold at such places as Home Depot.
            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

are beach house good sponsens or is there a better brand that has better backer plates when you buy them

Comment

Beach House are excellent, and I don't believe there is a better backer off the shelf at this time.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
                X