Biiger carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biiger carbs?

'96 HX with groupk sleeper kit(ported cylinder, bored out carb 40mm, slightly milled head)and just added a factory pipe. Would it be wise to get a set of bigger carbs for this set up and what size would I need? Don't want to burn up a cylinder again.

My choice would be some of the aftermarket 44's from Mikuni or Novi. If you work hard enough and long enough, you may be able to get those bored out oem carbs to deliver enough fuel to keep the pistons cool during all rpm phases, but it will be tough. A very restrictive air filter may help you get them to draw enough fuel. Maybe with a K&N and some Outerwears on them. A real problem with the HX ( or any oem ignition on a 720 motor ) is the amount and quality of the spark to light the fuel. They have a very weak ignition in them. About the time that you get enough fuel into the motor to keep it alive, you start having problems lighting the fuel.
    You can switch to an ignition from a 657X (1994XP) or you can use an MSD ignition.
    Bill O'Neal WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

hey Bill i have a 96xp limited mod would 46' carbs be overkill for my set up or should i go with 44's

and also what type of carbs are they when they are called red top? the 46's im looking at are called that, just curious about what carb would give me more performance, i know i would have to re jett to acomodate for no wake zones

Comment

46's are ok on a 787 motor. I'm not in love with Red Tops though.
        Bill O'Neal WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com" target="_blank">www.watercraftmagic.com</a>

Comment

i did some reading up on them and there like machined and then there's more fuel passages in them?

who makes the red top carbs mikuni,
          the guy wants $350.00 with the required jetting,

he has sigmot design and bolted design,

so Bill why arn't you too impressed with them,

another question? i seen a pair of novi carbs 44 for 550. they came with a fuel rail, are those a better buy? i just have stock rejetted right now

is there bad press about the red top?

found some novi maxi flow 44's with op/fuel rail for 550.00 they look pretty new any good?

[ April 07, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: jetracer800 ]

Comment

The Novi's are the way to go IMO.

Although some may disagree with me, I have attempted to get 2 different sets of Red Tops to work and I have not had any success at all. In both cases, I installed some Novi's and bingo, the motors ran great. Take that for what it is worth.

$550.00 is a great price if they are good Novi carbs. That is 1/2 the cost of new.
            Bill O'Neal WCM

Comment

Working...
            X