Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter on a 95 XP 800

Bill,
    Wanted your opinion. Is it possible to replace my starter on my 1995 XP 800 without removing the engine?

Re: Starter on a 95 XP 800

Hello
    I replaced the starter on a friends 95 XP recently and i managed to remove it with the engine in place.
    All i did was use a long extension bar going underneath the exhaust manifold from the back end towards the starter motor, there are only two bolts to undo, and one of them has the earth strap attached to it so when you undo that bolt you can just pull the earth lead to one side.
    The live feed is long enough to be able to pull the starter motor rearwards after undoing the bolts and then release it once it is visable at the back end.
    It is a very fiddley job but i managed to pull it out and put a replacement in in 30 mins. i think the bolts are 13mm.
    Hope this helps.
    Mazzer

Comment

Re: Starter on a 95 XP 800

Yes, it is actually very easy to remove a starter from any 787 engine. First, disconnect the red cable from the battery. Unlike the directions given by Mazzerman, you will find that the 787 starter motor has two allen bolts that go through the mag housing and into the starter from the front of the mag cover. Also, you will find a black ground cable attached to an ear on the starter motor and you need to remove it. There is a third bolt with a 13mm head that attaches the rear of the starter motor to the engine cases to eliminate viberation. Once the bolts are removed slide the starter rearward and disconnect the red power wire and you are finished removing your starter motor. 20-30 minutes tops.

I actually witnessed Bo Du Priest replace a 800 starter motor during a two minute hold on the starting line of a national tour race. The motor started and the boat went on to win the race. Amazing what can be done when you have to get it done.
      Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
      X