Sea-doo 951 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea-doo 951 Mods

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantages to removeing the balancer shaft assembly. I have heard that the racers do this, not sure why just looking for info. Also is it wise to run a lightweight PTO balancer if you already have a lightweight fllywheel. Thanks

Re: Sea-doo 951 Mods

Are you building a paint shaker or a motor?
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks bill, By the sounds of your reply I take it that was a dumb question. I was just curious, I am always looking for that little edge over my buddies. OK I have another question for you. Is it possible to build a 951 that will do 75+mph?
      I have no problem running race fuel and the most use this motor will see is probably 20-30 hrs a season. I want FAST!!! I am not looking for a motor that will last season after season, these motors are easy to work on and refreshing is not a problem. Speed costs, how much do I have to spend?:D

Comment

Our best 1050 superstocker motors hand built by Mel Miller cost around $7,500.00 and produce 217hp. In a 1998XPL, he can run 72-74 mph on any given day, and have for the past two years on many occasions with Mel's rec XPL, and Mel weighs well over 220 lbs. In race trim, this basically same engine setup will pull between 68-69mph ( slower because of more hull drag from handling parts to get around a race track).

Getting any 951 to run speeds of 70+ mph is very difficult to do. It requires a special impellor, nozzels, and alot of work on most all of the parts from the ignition, Novi carbureators, muffler, exhaust pipes, to the rideplate, driveshaft and Skat pump.
        The amount of time and materials to do it would exceed $20K in real life numbers.

Look at it this way, with all the resources of Sea Doo, their 215 hp RXP goes 68mph on it's best day. So, taking that logic, it requires over 200hp to get really good top speed numbers on a Sea Doo hull and only one or two of their current hulls are even capable of running over 70 mph due to the shape and weight of the hull.

The future for high speeds will be the 4 strokes, as some of the more modified 4 strokes are producing in the neighborhood of 300 hp. It won't be too long before they exceed 300 hp.

There have been dozens of triples running in excess of 75 mph over the past few years, and some of which are really not all that modified.

The Sea Doo 951 is a relatively cheap twin to build for the purpose of closed course racing in the amatuer ranks. This is where accelleration over short distances is all important, and top speed is less important. The 951 will never be the all out speed king of personal watercraft. There comes a time when you must stand back and say enough is enough. Throwing so much money and time at a relatively small engined watercraft becomes not worth the effort.

My advice ? Buy a boat with a 508 Chevy in it, have a cocktail and enjoy 80+ mph speeds with three or four of your favorite friends riding in a comfortable hull.

As a person who has exceeded 80 mph on a personal watercraft, I can tell you first hand, it is not all that it is cracked up to be. It sure as hell is not safe. It seemed like a good idea at the time though.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bill, You make alot of scense. For me the XP is a blast to ride and for the most part I can smoke most of the other watercraft that I go up against except for the GP1200 w/tripples(well I murder them out of the hole anyway) and I even beat an RXP but it was closer than I would have liked it to be, and I know that boat is stock. Wait till all the goodies come out for that one. Next year I will get one of those and start tweeking all over again. Thanks for your insite Bill I appreciate it. Have a great day!:)

Comment

Working...
          X