1990 XP performance info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 XP performance info

I was recently given a 1990 XP - which runs fine - it is just "slow" comaperd to all of my friends newer models. Can someone link me up with suggestions to improve it's performance - chaepest and easiest to more costly and difficult. The XP cost me nothing so I don't mind spedning a little money on it.

Re: 1990 XP performance info

Go online and try to find all of the high performance parts from a 1992 XP, Pipe, muffler,dual carbs, stainless steel impellor. If you allready have those parts on your 1990 model, forget this advice.

No matter what you do short of installing the 720 XP motor and parts, you will be following almost everyone else across the lake with a 580cc boat.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

can you swap a bigger motor/computer in? or would custom mounts have to be made?
      96 sea doo gti

Comment

A 720 with it's own bedplate will bolt right into your hull. Use your electrics or all of the electrics from the 720 boat that you got the motor from. You cannot mismatch the electrics by using some parts from one or the other. It is all or nothing.
        Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

There is no 90XP, the first XP was in 1991.
          You probably want to figure out exactly what you have before buying parts.
          Any XP should already have twin carbs, stainless prop, etc.
          Bill, are the 92 parts better than 91?

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

I guess I got my son's '90 550 SX and my '91 XP mixed up. I am not trying to beat my Bud's ski's they are newer. I am interested in making it a little bit faster if possible, any suggestions is appriciated.

Also if you could give me hints on beefing up my son's Kawasaki 550 SX, that is appriciated as well.

Chuck

Comment

George,
              No, but that is why I wrote "unless you allready have those parts". I knew that there was no 1990 XP, but often people get the year and model mixed up. I don't know if he has an sp or an xp. If he has an XP, it will be a 1991 or 1992 and it will say "twin carb" right below the seat.

Dewittcha,
              I gave you the suggesstions for the 580 XP.

The 550 SX comes alive with a Group K sleeper kit for under a grand. Or go on ebay and buy a Mariner half pipe ( or some other aftermarket exhaust system), a carb rejet kit with filter and have the head milled .040.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

It is an XP, twin carb and all that. So, no aftermarket exhaust, carb, impeller, grate... will help. You are telling me the only option is to replace the engine?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Well, Yes and no. Yes there are aftermarket parts to make the ski go faster. No, they won't make it much faster. And, it can get expensive and sometimes even frustrating. No aftermarket company still makes high performance parts like pipes, carb kits and aftermarket heads for an old 580. Ebay and internet site forums, garage sales are your only options for finding these parts.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Working...
                  X