Additional Cooling On Sea-do 951

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Cooling On Sea-do 951

Does anyone with modified 951 motors have additional cooling lines. I was told that some of the racers put more cooling lines on and I was just wondering where they put them and if you need to tap the pump for another feed line in. I already have two bleed hoses coming off each cylinder in the head. My ski runs a little HOT and I would like to give it some extra cooling. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Re: Additional Cooling On Sea-do 951

Yes, tap the pump for an extra hose and run it into the lower part of the exhaust pipe waterjacket ( Coffman pipe) then tap both clyinders above the base gasket and let the water out through those fittings and out of the boat through two thru hull fittings.
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Bill on the cylinder taps do they need to be restricted with a jet or are they just fullflow? Also my water routing comes in first through the case cooler then up to the head and out through the coffman pipe. If I have another water line come in the bottom of the pipe then where do I split for the water out? One more question, are there any advantages to having the water to the stinger turned off during idle/ off idle conditions and then slowly come back on under full throttle? Thanks Sincerly for your help.

Tom

Comment

Why would you need a split. You will have two water inlets, one at the head and one at the lower pipe water jacket. You have 4 outlets, 2 on the head and two on the clyinders.

If the motor runs too cold ( never seen that happen on a hi-po 951, but it could if you ride in icewater ) then you think about restricting water outlets.

A Jetworks valve on the stinger is exactly what you need if you want to limit the water in the exhaust and muffler when idling.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

OK Bill I understand what you are getting at. I was thinking that since currently the water exits the bottom of the coffman pipe and out the back and if I were to now make that a water inlet that I was going to need some way to let the water out of the motor and with 4 outlets that are unrestricted that should be enough. What is the best location to tap the cylinder, the sides, front or back? Thanks for all your help ;)

Comment

Tap on the back side similar to the 787 clyinders. Use 1/4 inch barbed fittings with 1/8th NPT threads.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

On a side note that still fits in this conversation;
              Since the Coffman is set up to recieve water via the exhaust manifold (pre heated), how does the pipe run if it recieves cool water? Is there a notable diffenence in top rpm? Has anyone thermostat restricted the water exit of the pipe if set up this way?
              Being ignorant, is not so much ashame as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I found that out here were the water temps are fairly high in our lakes, that if you run cooler water up through the water jacket and out the manifold billet adapter, the maximum rpm stays more consistant after the engine warms up to full operating tempatures. When I ran it the way Coffman suggessted, it would lose about 50 to 100 rpm after a few minutes.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Hmm, the local lakes, puddlestone, smellsomore, can get warm thats for sure. Even Havasu about a month ago was high 80's on the surface, it was cooler 2 weeks ago.

now on the Rossier that is sugested to run the cool water to the pipe, has there been any befefit to letting it warm a little? Or same as the Coffman? I have this KTM thermostat looking for somthing to do.
                  Being ignorant, is not so much ashame as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I find that it runs worse with hotter water in the pipe waterjackets.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                      I find that it runs worse with hotter water in the pipe waterjackets.
                      good to know. The question was in my mind on the thermostat, like running Havasu main lake at 88 deg water, then turn upriver and get 67 deg water. I wont bother then.

Comment

Working...
                      X