Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flywheel weight

This is especially for Bill O'!!

Some perf. shops claim that lightening the OEM flywheel or mounting a billet alu one can reward with noticeable gains in acceleration.
    Years ago I read a MX tech article in which was explained the pro and cons in altering flywheel weight .
    It was stated - and confirmed by my personal experience when I raced MX -
    that a reduction in weight will move the torque up in the powerband and an increase will low it down.
    So logical deduction: fast tracks light flywheel slow and technical ones heavyier flywheel.
    Is this concept applicable in the PWC world?
    In MX and Enduro there are wheels on the dirt in PWC impellers in the water, in MX if I have a peaky powerband out of the turns the engine is dead and I have to use the clutch to rev it up, is this concept valid in PWC or the difference of eviroment in which it work (water) and the direct transmission of the power make things different?
    Any idea or advice is welcome!!
    Michele

Re: flywheel weight

Michele,

Yes light or heavy weight flywheels do move the power around. You would notce the difference on a motoXer alot more than a PWC. Although, a pwc engine will accellerate quicker with a lighter flywheel.

There are balancing issues to be considered if you are using the pwc for recreational use.

If you plan to only race your pwc, then by all means, lighten the flyweels.

A 951 flywheel is not overly big and heavy like the 580-720 flywheels, but MSD and RAD Performance make aluminum flywheels for them.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill O'Neal1; 10-02-2004, 11:43 AM.
    Bill O'Neal, owner of Watercraft Magic in Glendora California, www.watercraftmagic.com

Comment

Working...
    X