This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nichols Watercraft "Trident"

Hi, I am new to the whole PWC thing. I have a '92 Nichols Trident that I would like to restore. I think with some thorough cleaning and greasing of parts it will run. The internals look very good. I don't know anything about the machine and apparently nobody near me does either. I need any and all information you guys can come up with. I don't know motor size or even make, makes it hard to find parts. The seat appears to be Kawi X2, as does the driveshaft and pump. Also the exhaust looks like a modified X2 pipe. PLEASE HELP ME!!! I can post pictures if anyone thinks they can ID parts. Thanks.

Re: Nichols Watercraft "Trident"

Please post pics.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I've only see a couple of pics of those. I would like to see some more pics in detail. Post Please!

Comment

Here is the Trident, and the motor in question. If you need any pictures of any part let me know. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well the only thing I can tell you is, it's not a PWC engine, and there is no support for it from any major PWC engine seller.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Definetly an older Kawi pump. You could always find a Kawi 750 and see if you can make it fit if you want to put that much effort into it.

Comment

I found this ad for someone selling a Nichols Trident. Maybe this person could give you some info on it. Ad says the motor is a V4 but yours definately isn't.

Good luck

http://wy.usfreeads.com/wyoming/203489-local.html

Comment

How about some side veiws of the motor and some pics of the electronics box try to get any identifying markings ,something looks vaguely familiar

Comment

Greg Nichols built a few of those old hydro's. Most had Kawasaki drivelines and engines, I think. But a few had whatever motors they could put into them.
                  There is an old issue of a watercraft magizine that featured the Nichols Hydro, cira around 1991-1993. I cannot remember which mag it was though.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Re: Nichols Watercraft &quot;Trident&quot;

Here are a couple more pics. There is a model# 250-2C1M stamped in one side of the crankcase. There is no CDI box. Just a simple magneto system. Maybe someone will recognize the reeds??? The starter housing is welded to the rear cover on the inside. The heads don't use gaskets, they are double o-ring sealed. I had a guy look at it that use to do service and he said it looked like a CAYUNA engine. Is anybody familiar with those? Does anyone have any pics of one?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Go to www.zdenterprises.com it kinda looks like the 500/540 engine shown they also show a jet pump and plate setup that is almost identical. at the bottom of the page it says that the motor is made in South Carolina. Maybe yours is an older version of the one shown. Also check out www.2si.com, there are better pics there with marine apps. listed. In any case it would probably be cheaper and easier to update with a newer engine and pump combo from a more recent ski.
                      Last edited by 1wetrider; 02-18-2005, 07:28 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

I would drop a Kawi Ultra motor in that thing and let it fly.

Comment

Got some new information. The engine is an AMW 500cc. Probably before the merge with Cuyuna. It is very similar to the engines they were building for Formula 500 SCCA cars, maybe even the same one. I think it is rated at 80hp but I can't verify that for sure yet. I've cleaned everything up and flushed out the lower end. The seals don't seem to be leaking. If all goes well I should have the engine back together by this weekend.

Comment

Kewl let us know what happens

Comment

UPDATE: I've had too many projects and not enough time. The Nichols Trident was put on hold. The cases are now split and the crank is out. Everything else is getting bead blasted and cleaned and painted this weekend. Hope to have the engine ready to fire up by next weekend. I'll post some new pics if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X