Looks like tube has melted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like tube has melted?

Coolant tube running parallel with factory pipe has started to melt a bit. When is it a problem... (of course if it melts through)? Zip ties touching the exhaust would probably be worse right? I'm a Jetski newb with a nice ski. Thanks

Re: Looks like tube has melted?

Seems like a simple question... anyone put any thermal reflective tape or insulator around their cooling lines? I know the exhaust must get very hot, thinking about hitting the autozone but I'm not sure if they will have anything thats waterproof. Any input?

Chris

Comment

why is it getting hot enough to melt? On most ski's, you should be able to touch anywhere on the engine ('cept maybe the plugs) w/o getting burned.

Comment

My cooling system is working... so I'm not sure how you can touch your head or exhaust after it has been running for a hour or two.

Comment

The small hole or jet that allows water to be injected into the exhaust gas stream in the headpipe is clogged up. That is what keeps a chamber cool enough so that it doesn't melt everything around it. A very common thing on aftermarket pipes. You need to clean it out. Look under where any brass fittings go to the headpipe, or refer to FPP for instructions on how to clear the water jet/injector into the pipe for keeping the chamber cool.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bill,

This may be of help... the exhaust is a Factory pipe and I saw two small screws with allen wrench heads on the pipe. These look like water jet adjusters. The one nearest the exhaust manifold is out about 3/16" and the one nearest the aluminum pipe coming on the black and grey speckled piece is all the way in. Now I am no jetski pro but it would make sense that this is stopping all waterflow into the large aluminum portion of the pipe. I will get pictures asap which would probably help a lot more. The portions of the coolant hose not rubbing against the pipe yet very close have not melted at all, only the parts with slight pressure against the pipe have. Don't get me wrong, I would love to bring the ski in and get it tuned but it looks like I'm on my own around the Virginia Beach area when it comes to jetski performance. The ski runs fine and I'm afraid if I unscrew the bolt slightly, it will change the dynamics of the pressure waves on the head. Let me know what step I should take next.

Chris

Comment

I can touch the head and cylinders of my engine within a minute of running WOT. The front is pretty warm, but this is all normal, ask around.

Comment

I contacted Factory Pipe and the service rep told me I should be able to touch it without blistering but not be able to keep my hand on the part. I guess parts of the hose are being forced against the pipe because the slack is almost non existant.

Comment

maybe it's rubbing more than just melting. In this case, maybe wrap another piece of cut rubber around the hose, or tie it out of the way (as you suggested).

Good luck :0)

Comment

Hey surveyguy,

My apologies, I was ski'n today and after riding I touched the exhaust and I could hold my hand on it. It was hot but not too hot. I think the reason why the hose is melting is because it is maybe rubbing the exhaust with the added heat, like you said survey. I did buy some X-treme tape which doesn't melt up to 500 degrees F so I think I will be good to go if I wrap that around the areas that have melted a bit. Structurally I believe the hose is still fine so I should be good to go, thanks for the help. And godddd I love riding stand-ups I can't keep my mind off of it.

Comment

Great to hear :)

Comment

Working...
                      X