Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Tacho-a worthwhile addition??

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of buying a tiny tach for my jetski. Two reasons, i'd like an hour meter and i want to start turning my own carbs and have been told the a digital tacho is very helpful. Can anyone tell me what these units are like, ie: are they tiny pieces of junk. I was thinking about getting a tiny tach and EGT sensors for my exhaust. Thanks.

Re: Tiny Tacho-a worthwhile addition??

Originally posted by Ozzie Seadoo
    are they tiny pieces of junk.
    Tht's EXACTLY what they are - save your $40, or burn it, it's more fun. Call Bill and get a PET Tach. www.watercraftmagic.com

Unfortunately there are no inexpensive good tachs, only inexpensive junk.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Tiny tach is ok if you cant aford a better unit.
      For $40 its worth having as it will give the rpm you are running and how much rpm's change when you modify any parts.

If you are getting egt's hot tach etc then that would be a unit with both those functions and you would not want or need the tiny tach.

I am using a tiny tach only because I have not been able to purchase a better unit with egt's but it has been many times better than the stock tach.

Also I can switch it from one ski to another in a couple of minuits.

I think it's a case by case basis,you decide.
      SCOTT....

Comment

Thats great right up till it breaks - which is about 50% of the time, and it only takes a few hours. It has a HORRIBLE track record. I didn't believe it either, and I tried it. $40 down the drain...
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

That's strange. I've been using the same TT now for over 3 yrs, never one problem.

Comment

Anything electrical can vary from one to another.
            I figure its only $40 worth the risk.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas-yeah i think i'll prob go with something that's a little better quality and has EGT sensors as well. Thanks for the input:emoticont

Comment

Have found a solution-my local electronics shop sells and optical tacho-basically a laser beam...you put a small piece of reflectove tape onto what ever you want to measure the revs of and point the laser at it. Ever rev there will be a small reflection back to the measurement device from the tape on the rotating thing to be meaures (my PTO for example). Should be useful for testing my oil pump periodically as well with the drill..

Comment

Wont give EGTs but sounds interesting.
                  What did it run.(price wise)

Might be able to adapt it to set timing on my old GP MSD timing.
                  A laser instead of a homemade pointer to static time ignition.
                  Bill ever modify MSD with a laser ?

Comment

Well i'm in Australia and it was $69.99 from a company called Jaycar Electronics. Here's the URL for it:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

Not too bad considering it is accurate up to 99,999 RPM. Should be good for use with tuning.

Comment

I've personally used tiny tachs for years on a multitude of skis, never had one break, the batteries eventually fail after a few years. But as with any other product, someone is going to get a bad one, such as SBT tech, then they are all of a sudden cheap,trash. Well a hint to make them cheaper trash, call the company, and buy one from them for around $26.00. I have no idea why people are buying them from other sources for forty plus dollars. You will need to do a google search, because I don't remember the number though.

Steve

Comment

Wow... just checked out the site, they raised the price...$36.00, and to think I have been selling them for $25.00 with the extended cable. :(

Comment

Had a regular and a commerical that worked great. They were sold with the 'skis. Just bought another round faced commercial and it didn't even make it a month.
                          Needless to say Design Tech. is getting it back since it's like $60 for the commercial one.
                          J-me
                          05 Bayliner 175
                          98 GP 1200 Yamaha factory support hull, Lamey engine, Skat pump

Comment

Working...
                          X