trailer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer question

I have a Triton aluminum trailer for my jetski. The trailer is exposed to saltwater during launch and removal. I also rinse it off thoroughly after each use. I need to replace the lag screws that hold the bunk boards to the trailer as they are rusting pretty badly. Can I use stainless steel lag screws or should I just use galvanized lag screws? I have heard that stainless steel and aluminum do not work well together...especially in salt water. How true is this?

Re: trailer question

I've never heard of that problem with the stainless and aluminum.You should be ok with either one,the stainless or galvinized.The stainless are softer,so dont crank on them too much.

Just about any two metals react with each other when put together.
    Visit www.pwctoday.com for techical help

Comment

Stainless and aluminum do not interact well. They form a nasty oxidation powder that makes it impossible to remove, but in your case, the lag screws go into wood, so the choice is yours.

Comment

Jeez, I wonder how the entire marine industry gets by with using stainless fasteners in the aluminum engines they build?

Comment

Originally posted by Riixxii
          Jeez, I wonder how the entire marine industry gets by with using stainless fasteners in the aluminum engines they build?
          Locktite or antiseize.

Comment

Working...
          X