Reviving Copper Head Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviving Copper Head Gaskets

Is it feasible to renew a copper head gasket by heating it "cherry red" and then quickly dumping it into a pail of water? I remember doing this with dirt bike copper head gaskets back in the 70's. I think it's actually an annealing process. Think it still works? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I have no idea - but since no PWC uses a copper head gasket, why does it matter?

Comment

Uh, not to disagree, but my 750 has copper head gaskets on it right now. Nice and leak free, Better heat transfer to boot. To the old guy, many airplane mechanics use the heat and water process to "revive" copper crush washers used on spark plugs.

Comment

Yeah My Kwaka 550 big bore also has a copper head gasket, the standard one isnt wide enough in the jugs!!

And thats the way i was told to do it also, heat it evenly until cherry red then quench it in water, and use a scotch brite to scrub of the burnt areas, and use threebond or similar when bolting it down.

Good luck, I've had no hassles with mine for 3 years now... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, fine - I'll clarify - No PWC comes stock with a copper head gasket...sheesh!

Comment

Wow bryan tough crowh here. LOL
            You can also spray some of that copper spray on the gasket also. it fills in any low spots on the gasket. Polaris comes with steel gaskets and so does kawasaki and soemtimes for a river fix ( quick fix) I use that
            Rob

Comment

I've used a spray can called "HYLOMAR" in the past for copper gaskets. All the parts shops recommended this to me whenever using copper gaskets. Quite expensive at around AUD$22+ per can.

Comment

Working...
              X