The saga of my 1100 STX D.I.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga of my 1100 STX D.I.

For those who have been following my question regarding my 1100 STX D.I., here is the rest of the story.

After my bearings broke, my pwc was in the shop until last Friday. The shop replaced the impeller, housing, and bearings.

Being a six hour drive one way from my house I had a friend who was going to be in that area pick it up for me. My friend was rear ended while towing my pwc.

My pwc was pushed hard enough to shear the bottom bolt that connects the nozzel. The impact forced the wench on my trailer to bend.

I drove the next day to the nearest watercraft dealer ( three hours one way) and had them repair the damage. They tank tested, and said that the hull did not leak. The shop also said it pulled 650 lbs of thrust. The shop also noticed that the temperature sensor that installs at the top of the exhaust manifold was not installed. Being closing time and a Saturday, I felt there was not enough time to check their work or discuss any other items. When I got home and started checking things the steering was too tight. There was no play in the connection at the nozzel. I managed to work on the teflon inserts and bushings to get them freed up. That was just the start of things. I spent most of Sunday going over the PWC.

The shop that pulled the engine to do the work had the hoses that cool the computer and the bypass outlet crossed. Some of the wiring was not tie-wrapped up. The rubber piece that is siliconed to the resonator is missing. The oil tank had a twist in the rubber strap and some of the wiring was fed through this area.

I finally rode the pwc late in the afternoon. When I was flushing the system ( I ride the ocean) I heard a noise as if the impeller was touching.

What is the correct sound that the impeller should make while flushing?

I found one spare part after the ride. It was a flat washer, which looks like it could go to a motor mount. All the motor mount washer are installed.

What damage could have been caused from the PWC being rear ended? Could it have misaligned the shaft or caused damage to the impeller? Or could the hull be stressed?

Look forward to a response, Thanks

There is no way we can guess what happened - there are SO many things that could have been done, especially at your really bad shop(s) that have been doing your work.

Maybe if you call in and ask Ericka she can recommend someone good in your area.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

the noise of the impeller rubbing the pump housing is normal due to the tight clearance of the parts.

Comment

There should be no contact.

Comment

Thank you for responding to my saga of my 1100 STX D.I.

I am confused on the issue of the noise and the contact. What should the impeller sound like while being flushed out? The noise that I hear sounds like a dinging noise; like there is contact.

Comment

There should be no contact noise. If you hear anything something is damaged. Have a buddy shine a flashlight through the back while you rotate the engine by hand with the plugs out, and see if you find any damage. There should be 0.1mm - 0.5mm clearance between the impeller and wear ring/housing for best performance. 0.75mm - 1.00mm is the max clearance before performance suffers.

Comment

If you don't see anything and hear a squeeling noise you may be hearing a bad bearing - I would pull the pump for inspection.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion on checking the noise. I pulled the plugs and turned it over using the starter. I could not hear the same noise as when I am flushing the engine. As far as I can see, there is gap between the housing and impeller.

Comment

There is all kinds of noise when I flush my 1100ZXI. the trailer rattles, the steering nozzle rattles, theres just a bunch of noise. Maybe what you are hearing is "normal".......

Comment

Thats exactly what I meant although I did not post that.. hmm, I am slipping.

The rattling noise is fairly normal, my old 900zxi did that. The impeller should not rub the pump housing, but lots of metal on metal noises are common from the pump area.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      At the moment the steering nozzel bushings need to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                      X