Worth Rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Rebuilding?

I just purchased a 92 Kawasaki TS for $200 from a friend. It was running, but it was extremly weak. It has almost no compression and #1 cyl. has some slop in it. I haven't torn it down yet so I don't know if it is in the wrist pin or rod bearings. The dealership quoted me $800 in parts alone, no way I can afford that! Is it even worth fooling with it or should I just try to sell it? Any info or prices would be helpful.

The whole engine is $699 on exchange from us - that's about your cheapest bet. You could do a top-end but spend over 1/2 in just that, and the crank may not be far behind to go. You need to tear it down right now to inspect.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I finally tore the engine down and now have another question. Something got into #2 cyl. and beat up the head & top of the piston a little. Would it still be an acceptable as a core? It's not that bad, it looked like a piece of the ring broke off.

Comment

That's fine.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

anyone got a pic of this thing? A dealer friend is trying to sell me one (cheap) I think it is a TS. Is that like tandem seat of something? He siad it is pretty unusual.

Comment

Hello speakrdude, The TS is unusual in the fact that it has an open floorboard between the seat and the glove box. I now have four of these and they are a great ski for the kids or to putt around on the lake. I dont have a pic buy you should be able to find a pic on ebay or go to www.buykawasaki.com, go to the parts diagrams and enter the info. A picture of a 1996 model will come up. Also the TS seats 2 one in front of the other While the SC was the really odd ski seating 2 side by side.
              If Harley Davidson built an airplane - would you fly on it?

Comment

Working...
              X