Do I need a new impellor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a new impellor?

First let me thank SBT for this wonderful and informative forum!

Now.... I've recently been working on a 900zxi that hadn't been run for 2 years.

Got the carbs cleaned out and it ran good on top end, but boggy out of the hole....

Adjusted jetting and this thing PULLS.

Now the QUESTION:
    after riding for 30 min with the new carb settings, the engine is "slipping" when I hit wide open throttle from slow speed. I can back off the gas and feel it "bite", but if I hit it too hard it slips again.
    Do I need a new impellor or can it be a slipping bushing that can be changed?

Thanks
    Cajun [img]smile.gif[/img]

You are indeed cavitating - read the tech article here on inspecting for pump damage. I would send your parts to www.impros.com for attention.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

So you say I've got a Pump problem?
      NOT an impellor problem?

I don't have a manual on this bike. Please advise on where I should proceed from here.

Thanks.... I'm listening!

Comment

'Pump' means the impeller, housing, wear ring, bearings, staotr vanes, etc. - You could have one or more problems in any or all of those areas.

Comment

Thanks,

After reading the Tech articles (very helpful), I came to that conclusion!

I tried to search this issue and avoid asking redundant questions, but couldn't find a clear solution.

Does the impellor have a rubber bushing between the hub and the spline (like an outboard prop)?

If so can I buy one and change it myself?

Thanks again
          Cajun

Comment

Yes they do, and yes you can get it separately, however it's extremely rare for them to be damaged alone. They come with new impellers.

Comment

Working...
            X